Payirrunar

Kathir was sitting in the Kunnakudi shop late that afternoon. With Jeeva's wedding close by, his brothers were occupied in wedding preparations. His work ended earlier than expected at Karaikudi and decided to help them out here for few days.

He was trying to concentrate on the list in his hand, but his mind was somewhere else. He tried to focus on work many times but instead his thoughts kept diverting to Mullai. Last night, without his control he had flirted with her. He was more surprised on her reaction than his. He had a weird feeling in his stomach all night, being alone with Mullai. He was so close to taking advantage of the situation and her blushing, but felt ashamed of himself. Last time he kissed her did not turn out to be good for him. He had done that mistake once, and did not intend to do the same mistake twice without knowing what Mullai felt about him.

Someone cleared the throat and brought Kathir back from his thoughts. He lifted his head to see Kumaresan mama staring at him with a frown plastered on his face, his arms crossed in front of his chest.

"Elai, apadi enna da yosanai velai nerathula? Naan pesaradhu kuda ketta mathiri theriyala?"

Kathir smiled in a relaxing manner, pushing thoughts to back of his mind "Elam unga nenapu than mama. Ungaluku epo kalyanam panni vekalamnu", Kathir joked tickling his mama's belly.

"Aiyaa apo enaku oru patti vara poranga", Saravanan joined to pull Kumaresan mama's leg.

"Elai, naan un mudhalai da. Nyabagam irukatum", Kumaresan mama said dryly at Saravanan but Kathir would see the hint of mischief in his eyes.

"Apo kuda kalyanam venamnu solala da. Gavanichiya Saravana?", Kathir pointed out and snorted when he got a call.

His face immediately lighted up, seeing Mullai's name

"Sollu Mulla", he answered while he let out a chuckle at how Saravanan was still taunting Kumaresan mama.

"Sorry Kathiru". Mullai sounded all serious and he left the shop with his phone to have a uninterrupted conversation with her.

"Eii, enna achu?", he asked already worried with her tone.

"Epo kelambina Kathiru? Naan paatuku thungitean"

He signed relief. "5 mani kita."

"Avalavu neram irundhiya? Sorry Kathiru thungitean. Yelupi irukalam illa? Nee vetuku poi nimadiyavadhu thungi irupa. Night sapida kuda illa", she pouted though he could not see it.

Kathir involuntarily smiled thinking how she had collapsed on the couch last night with laptop in her lap. She looked so peaceful during her sleep and he had no heart to wake her up. With all the tension within him staying alone with her, he didn't trust himself to touch and carry her to room. He let her sleep in the couch while he just brought her blanket and placed it over her.

"Edhuku night pura thodapatoda pakathila okandutu irukalamnu ideava?", he asked cheekily.

"Kathiru", she half yelled at him for taunting her. At the same time, it warmed her heart to know he remembered her being scared of dark.

"Velaiya irundhiya? Thondaravu panitena?", she asked when finally the uneasiness and guilt flew away as she started talking with him.

"Epo paaru idhu than soluviya? Nee call panradhula enaku enna thondaravu? Site la thalam potu mudichutanga. 3-4 nalaiku anga perusa velai illa"

"Apo site ku perusa poga venam. Apadi thana?", she muttered excitedly.

"Amam. En kekara?"