Mudivu

Kathir just learnt that his brother wants to give another chance to his wedding. He retired to his room, not wanting to be part of the elders' conversation anymore. Life is unpredictable. It plays unexpected games with you, in which you cannot do anything. Sometimes it gives you heartbreak, pain, suffering and sometimes it gives you love, care and respect. Somehow, he is experiencing all of these with Mullai. His thoughts drift to, when he even started noticing her being unhappy here.

A week before Pongal – Jan 2019

The entire clan of Pandian house was busy with preparations for Pongal celebration at their pannai house. Today they were going shopping. Kathir who had never shown interest in any of these, stayed back to take care of the shop.

He noticed Jeeva has not left for shopping yet, while his elder brother left hours ago.

"Anna. Nee kadaiku polaya? Un thala pongalku nee dress yeduka pogama kadaila iruka?"

"Enaku bank'la konjam velai iruku. Adha mudichutu oruthara order vishayama pakka poganum da. Avangaley yedututu vara sonean. Annan than, lateavadhu varanumnu solitu poi iruku"

His tone showed no interest or happiness of a pudhu mapillai. Kathir got the cue and was upset for his brother. Kathir has seen his brother trying hard to be happy in front of his family but he knew his brother better.

"Anney. Unaku kalaynam ayiduchu. Nee konjam kojama mara pakkanum"

Jeeva did not want to hide it from his brother.

"Mudiyala da. Enna than irundhalum naan Meena ku panadhu dhoragam than da. Rendu naal munadi kuda call panna." said with a meek voice.

"Edhu! Enna sonanga avugha?"

"Naan yedukala da. Enna pesa solra? "

"Adhukaga yedukama irupiya? Theviya pesidu. Apovadhu unaku konjam nimadhiya irukum illa"

"Nama love panna oruthanga, inoruthanga kuda irukanganu pakaradha vida kodumai enna iruku da? Adha naan avaluku panni irukean. Endha mogathoda ava kita naan pesuvean? Enaku ava kita pesara dhayiram illa da."

Kathir dropped the topic right there, hoping his brother would come around soon. He had no clue why a love could affect someone so much. He did not know this feeling is going to haunt him in future, very soon.

Later in the evening Kathir got a call from Moorthy asking him to bring a taxi to the shop, as Jeeva was stuck in the bank and could not pick them up.

Once Kathir reached, women were almost done with the shopping or that is what the men thought. The sales person brought piles and piles of clothes in front of them. He was astonished at the varieties, wondered how the sales girls remembered all the names, and mentally started counting the number of varieties of parupu in his head. After successfully counting varieties of all grocery in the shop, he moved closer to a mirror near his Anni as he had nothing else to do. He sighed; he felt bored standing there and was eager to go home. He picked up a glass of water beside him and drank a sip when he saw Mullai standing close to him holding sarees on her shoulder and looking at the entrance instead of the mirror.

"Mulla, nee matum than inum select panala. Sikiram pannu. Pudhu ponnungarathuka ipadi late panradha?" called out his Anni. He mentally thanked her for trying to wind up this shopping soon.

"Illa Akka. Indha rendu podavaiyil edhu yedukaradhunu theriyala", Mullai said, again looking at the entrance.

"Oh Jeeva vandhu select pananumnu wait panriya? Avanuku velai irukaam. Adhan namala kutitu poga Kathir car edhuthutu vandhu irukan", said Anni with a teasing tone.