Samarasam

Kathir and Mullai were seated in their usual spot in their usual coffee shop that evening. However, things weren't as usual between them. Though both acknowledged things were still not normal between the two and was causing them to rift apart, both did not know how to make it better.

Kathir sat looking at her and pondering how their relationship strained so much. It's not that they have never fought or had misunderstandings before. But back then he was always confident about her love and their future . Off late he has started losing that confidence. He felt like deja vu. The years where he could do nothing but to wait for her to understand him. Just the fact, it was much harder this time. He looked at her yearningly . How much he wished to touch her , hug her and get some comfort. He sighed inwardly. She was so close yet so far away from him.

After having their tea in silence, they finally walked out towards their vehicles. Not wanting to leave without speaking, Mullai initiated the conversation.

"Meena avangaluku valaigappu nu Kanna sonnan. Adhu kula vekkaranga?"

"Avanga appa ku veetla vasadhi pathalanu varutham. 7am masam vitta 9am masam than panna mudiyum pola. Adhan ipovey valagappu panitu avar veetuku kutitu poi konja naal avughala vechukanumnu yosikarar. Indha varamey panna pakkarar", Kathir said leaning on his bike.

"oh! Veetla oru bathroom thana iruku. Kozhandhai vanduta inum kastam thana?", she spoke about loud without thinking much. Immediately she regretted saying it, as it reminded her of the fact she has lived in that house once, as his brothers wife. She tries to shut her thoughts away but in vain.

Not noticing the change in her demanour he replied "Amam. Nee irundha varai oru bathroom than irukunu yarum perusa yosikala. Avugha vandha aparam, pala murai adhu vasadhiya ilanu solitanga.

Periya annanum kolandai varadhu kula inoru bathroom katanumnu solitu irukar. Ithana naal idha yosikama poitomenu varutham avarku"

As soon as he completed, he saw her face. He got worried immediately and asked "Eii. Enna achu? Naan edavadhu thappa solitena?"

"Enna aanalum, naan andha veetla un annan manaviya vazhadhadhu maaradhu illa Kathiru...", she whimpered.

Kathir looked at her pale face, he could see how much this was affecting her. He could see her shaking and his heart broke at the site. He was willing to do anything to make it better. He just wanted to grab her in his arms and pacify her but he knew that he can not do that now. This was the time to be honest.

"Unmai than. Pazhasa namba yarum matha mudiyadhu Mulla. Aana, adhu kadandha galam matum than, edhir galam ilangaradhum unmai than"

Kathir spoke calmly and his face did not show any expression and his eyes were blank. She was not able to understand what was going in his mind

Though she wanted to marry Kathir and live happily, she was afraid of commitments and idea of marriage freaked her out. No matter how hard she tried to convince herself, she feared Kathir might repent marrying her someday.

When she did not reply, Kathir let out an exasperated sigh " Vazhkai pura pazhsa nenachutu iruka poriya? Konja naala nee seri ayiduvenu paatha, nee poga poga inum mosam than agara.

Apadi enna than thadukudhu unna?", he asked not able to hold himself up anymore.

"Ithana naal pazhasa yosikama than irundhean. Aana, ipo namba kalyanamnu pechu varapo edho oru enampuriya bayam.."

"Un bayam nyayamanadhu. Adhu puriyama illa. Aana, adhu naal pokula seriya podium Mulla. Pazhaya kasapu elam thana maranjidum. Adha nee nambanum", Kathir almost pleaded.