Maangalyam

December 11 – Kalyana mandapam

Kathir and family reached mandapam around noon and he couldn't get a glimpse of Mullai until their engagement much later in the afternoon. She walked into the dias briefly to get blessing of the elders, before she went back to change into the saree presented by Kathir's family. Only after she changed into the saree, she was made to stand next to Kathir. She looked elegant in red handloom silk saree with maroon border. She gave a quick glance at him and smiled before turning away.

He wore a simple peach shirt and brown trouser. He was glad, he didn't have to change as many clothes as Mullai.

The ceremony was simple and without much fuss, the lagana pathirikai was read and they soon exchanged rings. The moment he slipped the ring onto her finger he looked up to her, his gaze packed with intent. Mullai has never seen him look that intent when they were around people. It made her heart skip a beat. His gaze was deliberate not caring about people around them. She smiled, breaking their eye contact. He turned away looking at the people around with smiles.

"Keela poidadhenga. Cake vetanum", Kanna announced when all elders started dispersing.

"Dei idhu elam epo da panna?", Dhanam questioned.

"Jollya irukum illa anni. Naanum Jeeva annanum kalayil poi vangitu vandhom.", he grinned

"Dei idhu elam namba pazhakathil illa da. Periyavangala kekama idhu elam edhuku seiyara?", Lakshmi confronted him.

"Idhu than ipo trend. Enna ma, nenga onum theriyama irukenga"

"Athai solradhu seri thana. Thevai iladha velai da idhu elam", Dhanam joined her mother in law. She was worried if any of the relatives would talk ill about Mullai and did not want to have rituals than what was truly necessary. Even Parvathy was skeptical about a grand wedding initially but later agreed for Mullai.

Noticing the tension ,
"Seri vidunga. Chinna pasanga edho panitu poranga. Dhanam Nee amma va sapida kutitu po", Moorthy suggested.

Meena handed the knife to Mullai. Mullai turned to Kathir, wondering if he was ok with all these set up.

"Yepadi Anni? Kalakitena? Enaku pudicha butterscotch cake", Kanna leaned closer, so only Kathir and Mullai could hear them, as he placed the cake on a table before them.

"Dei avaluku chocolate cake than da pudikum", Kathir stated without an ounce of doubt .

"Podhum anne . Ipadi marina, andha thangara Sakthi enaku illa.."

"Po da!", Kathir teased. Kathir without hesitation wrapped his hand around her which was holding the knife. Their gazes met and he nodded asking her to go on. Taking the cue, they both leaned forward in perfect synchronization and cut the cake.

There faces were close to each other while they cut the cake, that she could even smell his cologne. She felt warm and a small blush adorned her cheeks. His grip on her fingers went tighter and she felt just a hand hold in front of entire family felt more intimate then all their hand holds in the past.

"Seri Mulla. Kathir ku first piece ootu ", Viji, her friend  urged

Mullai looked at Kathir. She was little hesitant to feed him in front of a crowd. Sensing her shyness, Kathir picked a piece of cake and took it close to her mouth. A coy smile made its way to her lips as she took a bite. When he was about to drop down his hands, she wrapped her fingers around his and guided it back to his mouth. He was initially shocked and looked at her without blinking, as he tasted the cake from her hand. Though they have shared food from same plate, sharing same piece felt more intimate and  special.