Pilavu

"Mullaiya kalyanam panitu naan Karaikudi pogalamnu irukean. Andha kadaiya pathu kitu, nanga angaiyey irundidarom", Kathir said determinedly, without an ounce of doubt in his voice startling everyone in the living room .

There was an eerie silence after he said what was in his mind. He was exhausted from today's events and was just ready to slip into his room and sleep like a log. However, he knows it was not possible. There was an elephant in the room he had to deal with.

"Enna da solra?", Dhanam asks in disbelief.

He looks at his elder brother sitting on the couch. His eyes were cold and lips were pressed together, forming a firm line. Though he was upset with his brother for the first time, Kathir kept his face neutral. He has never stood against his elder brother ever before and wishes it to stay that way.

He looks around the room. Kanna had wheeled in his mother and stood behind her. His mother had a blank expression that he could not decipher. Jeeva and Meena had just walked out of their room, hearing the commotion outside.

Kathir did not want to sit near his brother nor lean against the thoon. Instead, he crosses his arms, shoulders back and chin held high.

"Nenga solra mathiri, Mullai indha veetuku vara venam Anni. Nanga kalyanathuku aparam Karaikudi'layey irundhukarom"

His words echoes in the air. Dhanam gasps, a dramatic tear slipping down her cheek. Moorthy looks away in disgust, shaking his head. Jeeva stares at him in disbelief.

Kathir feels like an interrogation and the questions have not really even started yet. The vibe grinds against his nerves, making him feel uneasy. He did not want to make his family cry or be upset, because of him. However, he did not have a choice now. He calmed himself remembering what Kumaresan mama had said earlier. He has to stand up for his love and for Mullai even if it meant to stand against his family.

"Kandipa ungala elam vittutu naan engayum poida matean. Aana, nenga sonna mathiri Mullai'ya kalyanam panitu indha veetla iruka mudiyadhunu enaku puriyudhu. Adhan ipadi oru mudivu yeduthean. Ungala yaraiyum kaya padutha illa", he said in a pleading voice.

The seconds tick by in silence. Kathir draws his bottom lip between his teeth waiting for a response.

He saw his amma sitting with teary eyes.

"Amma...", he neared her only to be stopped by Moorthy.

"Dei Kathiru, idhu elam seri pattu varadhu da. Nee andha pullaya marakaradhu than elarukum naladhu", Moorthy says in a frustrated voice.

"Andha pulla pavam da. Palasu elam marandhu vazha vendiya ponnu da. Vera oru kalyanam panitu nimadhiya irukatum da. Thirumba andha pulaya en da kayapaduthara?"

The sympathetic look on Moorthy's face looked faker than fake to Kathir all of a sudden. Kathir forced himself to take a brief pause.

"Avala pathi namba kudumbatha vida yaruku anne jasthi theiryum? Naan kalyanam panna, ava en anne kasta pada pora? Namba kudumbathil irukaravangaley avala kaya paduthuvommnu solrengala?", Kathir questioned his brother for first time in his life.

Dhanam walks a step closer to him and shakes her finger at Kathir "Mama edhirthu pesara avaluku nee periya manushan ayidala. Idhuku mela oru varthai pesadha. Nee Mullai'a inametu pakka venam. Idhan en mudivu!"

"Manichudunga Anni", Kathir replies shaking his head. "Naan avala kadhalikarean. Avalum than. Avala yematha matean!"

The room is so quiet that one could hear a feather hit the floor.