Chapter 1

ELLAS POV

"Ella, we're going to be late," dad yelled from the kitchen. Today was my first day as an intern at Grey-Sloan Hospital, and I was nervous. My dad was an attending in pediatrics, and my mom was an attending in OB. I grew up knowing that I would be only a surgeon, it was in my blood.

"Ella, it's okay, you'll be great. You're in peds today to start off your week," mom said, walking into my room. "Come on, we have to leave in 10," she said. I nodded, as she kissed my head, and shut the door behind her. I stared at my scrubs on the bed, and threw them on, staring at myself in the mirror, I saw I had that calm gold speck in my eyes, just like my mom.

"I got this. It will be great. It's where I'm meant to be," I recited to myself. I smiled, throwing my coffee-colored long tangled hair up into a messy bun. I grabbed my sweater and tied my shoes, and then opened my door to see mom and dad standing there.

"Look at my baby girl, you're going to do great today," dad said. I smiled, following him downstairs, grabbing an apple. "Let's go before we're all late for rounds," he said. I nodded, following him out to the car, and got into the back seat. I took a bite into the apple and savored every bite on our drive to work. I loved our house and that it was down the street from my Aunt Meredith. There were so many memories built there, and we had dinner there at least once a week. I was excited to be able to work with my different aunts and uncles. I've heard so much about them.

"Ready for your first day?" Mom asked as we pulled into dad's parking spot.

"I'm nervous, but I'm ready," I said. Mom turned around, smiling at me.

"It's okay to be nervous, but you'll be great. We can eat lunch all together today okay?" I nodded and smiled as I walked behind them into the hospital. I hugged mom, and headed to my locker room, running into some of the other interns.

"Hi, I'm Aria, you must be Ella?" Aria said, reaching her hand out to shake mine.

"Hi Aria, it's nice to meet you. Whose service are you on today?" I asked, putting my bag in my locker. I smiled at her silky black hair that reached right past her shoulders.

"I'm on Meredith's service, whose service are you on?" She asked while putting her white coat on.

"I'm on, uh...Arizona's," I said, reading my e-mail, and putting my white coat on.

"Jealous, I can't wait to be in peds," she said. I smiled, and turned to my right, seeing another girl, about a few inches taller than me.

"Hi Ella, I'm Leah," she said. I smiled, while she put her white coat on.

"It's nice to meet you," I said, reaching my hand out to shake hers, and she turned away as I put my hand back down, awkwardly. I noticed her caramel hair flip as she walked past me.

"So, I heard you're Jo's and Alex's daughter, does that mean you're going to get special treatment?" She scuffed, tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"I don't expect any special treat-"I stopped talking as Bailey walked in, and we all looked towards her.

"No one gets special treatment in my hospital. Leah, go you're on Jo's service, Ella, you're on Arizona's, Aria, you're on Meredith's and Tyler you're on Callie's service. Grab your pagers, and go," she said, handing us our pagers and then going to the nursing station, watching us all rush to the elevator.

"Tyler, I didn't have time to introduce myself to you," I said. He waved and looked at his pager. I looked back at Aria and we shrugged. We hit the button to our floor and waited for the elevator to stop. I got to floor 3, and got to the second wing, as I saw an attending, wheeling to the nurse's station. I skipped to the station, smiling as I felt that I was supposed to be there.