Chapter 10

ARIZONA'S POV

"She's going to be okay; she's going to be okay," I repeated to myself. April walked over to me, lending me a hand as I took it, crying into her shoulder.

"Come on," April said, leading me over to an on-call room to help calm myself down.

ALEX'S POV

"Hi honey, what's going on," Jo said, kissing my lips.

"It's El," I cried. I tried to keep it together, but I couldn't with seeing her on the gurney.

"What happened?" She grabbed onto my arm, as I wrapped my arms around her. I held onto her tightly. I didn't know how to tell her and took a deep breath looking at her. I heard the door as Owen walked over to us.

"Jo, Alex, she's in critical condition. She's stable now, but we need to bring her into surgery. Her lung collapsed, and we need to check her brain, to make sure there's no damage," he explained.

"Owen, what happened?" Jo cried.

"A van crashed into the ER doors, as Ella was walking across to take a different patient to trauma room #2. The patient flew into Meredith, and all the debris, wall, glass collapsed onto Ella," Owen explained. I felt Jo's weight shift onto me as she sobbed into my chest.

"Her lips?" I asked.

"They're her natural color?" He asked in confusion.

"They were blue when I pulled her out of the pile," Alex explained.

"They're not blue anymore. She's breathing much better," Owen explained. I nodded, looking over at the room. "Were bringing her to surgery, we will come get you when she's out, Owen explained.

"Thank you," I said, as Owen went back into the room, and I brought Jo to the waiting room. I sat down, as Jo cried into my chest. I brought her legs over my lap and just held onto her. Ella's our baby girl, and we almost lost her when she was born. Anything that happened, had us extremely worried.

An hour went by as Jo fell asleep from crying. I was stroking her hair with my head leaned to hers. I was happy she was asleep, and just held onto her tightly. My family was my whole world, and I never knew how important it would be to me one day. I knew that Meredith was in surgery with Owen, and I kept praying that everything would be okay. I tried not to notice all the time going by, I just tried to make sure that Jo was comforted.

"Alex," Jo said.

"What's up, honey?" I asked, kissing her forehead.

"Is El out of surgery?" She asked.

"Not yet, but I know she'll be okay," I said reassuring her. I felt her grip tighten around me, as kissed her cheek. "Go back to sleep, I'll wake you when she's out," I said. She nodded, and I moved her to my lap, and she rested her head on my shoulder, as I held onto her. I'd do anything for my girls to make sure they were comforted. "How about we go to an on-call room?" I asked.

"But then we won't know when she's out?" She asked.

"I'll page April, okay?" She nodded, standing up, taking my hand. I was about to page April, and saw her, as I rushed over to her. "Hey, we're going to the on-call room, will you please let Owen know?" I asked.

"Of course. Sounds like they are almost done," she said. I nodded, taking Jo into the on-call room, seeing Arizona sleep on the top bunk. I shut the door behind me, bringing Jo to the single bed, and she rested her head on my shoulder, as I grabbed an extra pillow for extra neck support. I wasn't tired, and I knew I couldn't fall asleep, so I just wrapped my arms around Jo as we snuggled up, waiting for an update.

"She's almost done," Jo whispered.

"Yes, go to sleep," I said.

"I can't sleep," she cried.

"Shh..." I said, kissing her head. I held onto her as I rubbed her back. I looked up to see Arizona looking at me. I gave her a reassuring smile, as she climbed down, laying on the bottom bunk. 45 minutes went by as we all laid there in silence. I closed my eyes hoping that if I did fall asleep, I did. I heard the door, looking to see Meredith. They flipped the light on, as Jo and I sat up, and Arizona followed.

"She's in recovery. The surgery went well. She's on a ventilator right now, but she should be waking up soon," Meredith said. I nodded, as Jo took my hand, and we stood up. I took a few steps forward, looking back to see Arizona. I reached my hand out to her, and she looked up at me, crying.

"Come on, let's go. We all need to be there," I explained. Jo looked back, nodding, and Arizona stood up, taking my hand as we walked to Ella's room. I wasn't ready to see her, but I knew she'd be okay.