Chapter 8

ELLA'S POV

"Family for Greg Thompson?" I asked as a middle-aged woman walked over to me, and it looked like his 3 kids, who stayed back in the waiting room chairs.

"How is he?" She cried.

"He's in recovery from surgery. He's stable and holding on. He coded from the ambulance, but he's good. He's not awake yet, but he is in recovery. Would you like to see him?" I asked. She nodded, looking back at her kids. "He's breathing on a ventilator right now, I don't know if you want them to come now, or see him first?" I asked.

"Kids let's go see dad," she said. I watched them hurry to their mom, wiping their tears away. I led them to the ICU and saw Meredith adjusting a few tubes, as I stopped before reaching his room.

"I just want to prepare you guys that he might look scary right now, but he will be okay," I explained. They nodded, as I opened the door for them, and watched them all rushing into his side. I closed the door partially to give them some privacy, and backed up to the nurse's station, watching them.

"Dr. Karev, you did an amazing job in there. Go take lunch, and then meet me back here after, okay?" I nodded, and handed my tablet to the nurse, and then headed down to the cafeteria. I didn't see anyone I knew yet and decided to get a burger today for lunch. I paid, and sat down, as I started drinking my water. I saw mom and dad walking in and smiled as I waved to them. They joined me after getting their food as they smiled at me.

"I heard how good you did in the pit today, I'm proud of you El," mom said.

"Thank you, mom, it felt good. I faced my fear from yesterday, and it feels good to bring the family to my patient," I said, taking a bite of my burger.

"I can't wait to have you on my service," she said. I smiled in agreement, and ate a few fries, noticing Arizona buying her food. I waved at her and watched her walking towards me as mom and dad smiled. Arizona sat down next to me, and I put my hand on her upper thigh and smiled at her.

"Mom, Dad, I want to introduce you to someone," I said.

"Ella, she's Arizona Robbins, we know her," my dad said.

"Mom, Dad, this is my girlfriend," I said, looking at them. I saw their faces go blank, and then into a huge smile.

"Girlfriend? We didn't know you were into girls that way. I'm very happy for you two," mom said.

"I agree with mom. I'm happy for you two," dad said. I felt Arizona's hand on my hand, and I smiled at her and ate the rest of my lunch as we made small talk.

It's been about 8 months since I've started Grey-Sloan. I'd already submitted my specialty into Bailey, as the other interns were still scrambling, knowing what specialty they wanted to go into. I've helped save many lives and point out what's wrong with patients on the scan before the resident and attending see. I've continued to amaze them and moved up as I noticed Leah, jealous.

"El, bring this patient to trauma room #2, please," April said, walking backward into ER. I was walking across the entrance of the ER, as a car flew in, and my patient, flew out of my hands, flying into Meredith, and I got stuck under all the debris, along with another resident.