CHAPTER - 79 : KLAUS-FREE LIFE

AT THE McLEAN RESIDENCE:

Venice was draping some sheets on the furniture in Alaric's room while Kevin and Jeremy were mixing paint and Elena was putting a few things of Alaric that were outside, inside a shelf or drawers. When everything was ready, each of them claimed a wall and started painting it while each of them kept checking on Asher, every now and then while the latter kept snoring cutely, fast asleep in Venice's room. 

Stefan walked in, stopping by the entrance of the room and smiled, seeing Venice's back to him while she was painting the wall.

"Going darker, huh?" he asked, making Venice turn around while the remaining three glanced at him and kept going.

"It's the only color we had" Venice replied.

"That's what happens when you decide to paint your dead guardian's room in the middle of the night" Jeremy retorted, making Venice roll her eyes.

"I don't suppose anyone tried to talk you guys out of doing this so soon" Stefan said, walking inside, looking around.

"We have to keep moving. Otherwise we'll start thinking and we don't want to think" Venice, said, glancing at him while painting the wall.

"Want a hand?" Stefan asked her, making Venice smile.

Before Venice could reply, Jeremy asked "So, are you two like back together or something?"

Stefan and Venice looked at each other while the rest of them paused their work, looking at them.

Having a feeling that the youngest Gilbert wouldn't react well with everything that's been happening, Stefan said "I – I was just checking up on you guys. Seeing how you were doing, after everything."

"We're fine. But, if you are trying to be the good guy again, why don't you do the right thing and give us one day. Just one day without any vampires in it. You know, like before you came into Venice's life and our lives are supernatural drama-free" Jeremy said.

"Jer" Kevin called out admonishingly, making Jeremy look at Kevin.

The younger Gilbert then looked at Elena and then at Venice and heaved out a sigh, leaving the room. 

Kevin stopped what he's doing and told Stefan "Don't take it personally, man. He's just... grieving," then looked at the two girls and said "I'm gonna go talk to him," and walked out of the room.

Feeling awkward, Elena dropped her paint roller in a trough, saying "I'm gonna go check on Asher" and walked out of the room.

Dropping the brush, Venice walked towards Stefan saying "He didn't mean that."

"Yeah, yeah he did" Stefan said.

Just then, the doorbell rang, making Stefan say "I'll get that."

He kissed Venice's forehead and went downstairs. Answering the door, he saw Damon with Bonnie who's neck was bleeding. She was still in her costume from the previous night and looked at Stefan guiltily.

"We have a problem" Damon told him.

*****

Stefan took Bonnie to the dining room with Damon and made her sit by the table. He handed her a towel to help her stop the bleeding which she gratefully took. Kevin was pacing in the room leaving Jeremy to be dealt with Elena.

"What do you mean he turned? I thought you were standing guard!" Stefan exclaimed at Damon.

"Don't blame me. Blame Bonnie the blood bank. She fed him" Damon said, looking at Bonnie accusingly.