CHAPTER-49 : CRAFTY LITTLE DAGGER

TIME SKIP (THE NEXT DAY):

AT THE McLEAN LAKE HOUSE:

Venice was sitting on a sofa in the family room, reading Jonathan Gilbert's journal.

With the dying embers of the fire at Fell's Church, the scourge of the vampires had passed. And though war raged all around us, our town was safe from the demons of the night...Or so we thought.

It's written in the journal. She then turned the page and read it:

For the monsters we drove to their fiery deaths had begat new monsters. 

Jonathan Gilbert wrote about how he, Honoria and Thomas Fell were having dinner when they felt that someone's outside the house. So, Thomas went out of the house and Jonathan followed him on Honoria's request. Jonathan took out his vampire compass to ensure Thomas that everything's alright. The compass's arrow stayed still for a moment and then started spinning around. Jonathan turned around, following the arrow's direction and when he turned back when he heard some whooshing sound in the air, Thomas Fell wasn't there. He walked towards the spot where Thomas Fell stood previously, and looked around. A moment later, Thomas's body fell behind Jonathan, making Jonathan turn and look at Thomas's body. Honoria came out of the house and rushed towards them, seeing her husband on the ground, not listening to Jonathan's protests. Suudenly, a vampire rushed towards her and fed on her, killing her in the process. Jonathan stood frozen in his place.

I knew I was about to die. You can not run from a vampire. I saw the vampire who killed me. I recognized him. It was Stefan Salvatore, Venice read the journal.

Stefan walked over to Jonathan, blood running down his chin. His face was in full vamp mode. He bit Jonathan and killed him.

Venice looked up from the journal with a shocked expression on her face. She looked out of the window, at Stefan who was on the dock.

Outside, Stefan was on the dock, skipping stones across the lake. His phone rang and he answered it. It was Damon who called him.

"What's going on?" Stefan asked him."Well, I showered. I shaved. Had breakfast. Very relaxed" Damon replied."That makes one of us" Stefan said."I did hear one piece of good news though. Tyler Lockwood ran away from home last night" Damon informed him."How do you know?" Stefan asked, thinking about the Lockwood boy who looked distraught when he heard about the complete details of the curse."Well, I heard it from Sheriff Forbes, who heard it from a very distraught Carol Lockwood, thus, ending our werewolf chapter, bringing us to..." Damon was saying but Stefan cut him off, saying "Killing Elijah.""Exactly" Damon said and Stefan can imagine the smirk that must be playing on his brother's face."Well, it's not going to be easy. He's crafty" Stefan said."Well, I've got a crafty little dagger" Damon stated."He's an Original. We don't know what all that encompasses" Stefan stated."Oh, trust me, Stefan. I'm gonna dot all my t's. I don't want any surprises" Damon said with a huff."Wow, Damon, tell me you're actually gonna be careful for once?" Stefan asked."Yes, Stefan, I've become you. How tragic for both of us. Got to run. I've a murder to plan. Busy day" Damon said and hung up.

Stefan lowered his phone and looked at Venice through the window. He walked back up to the house. 

Inside, Venice was reading Jonathan Gilbert's journal when Stefan opened the door, making her jump when she heard it. 

"Sorry" he said and walked inside.

"It's okay" Venice said.

He walked inside and closed the door and removed his jacket.

"So, what does Jonathan Gilbert has to say?" Stefan asked.

 Venice stared at him for a moment and then at the journal in her hand.