CHAPTER - 72 : SURPRISES AND UNEXPECTED TWISTS

AT THE McLEAN RESIDENCE:

Venice was staring at the ceiling, lying on her bed, with a whine or whimper leaving her lips, every now and then, credits to her unborn baby. The baby has been actively kicking her since the previous night and when she couldn't have enough, she called Caroline for a sleepover. At first, both the girls were so happy to feel the baby's kick, but then the baby ended up being too active for its own good, making Venice restless, the whole night. So that's how she ended up staring at the ceiling while Caroline was downstairs, trying to make some hot chocolate for the two girls.

For a brief moment, Venice thought that maybe she should tell Stefan that the baby kicked for the first time and ever since that thought occurred to her, it didn't leave her mind. With a sigh, Venice slowly sat up and was about to take her phone from the bedside table, but stopped when the baby kicked yet again.

Venice held her bump and sighed tiredly, saying "Calm down baby... I know you're so active today and Mommy can't wait to play with you. But Mommy's tired.. Please cut Mommy some slack... She's tired and moody.."

With a groan, She reached for the phone and took it. She stood up and walked towards the window. She allowed some fresh and chill air into the room by opening the window, saying "Alright... Let's bother daddy now..." and whimpered yet again, feeling the baby get even more active if that's possible.

"Alright, calm down! I'm gonna call him" Venice muttered with that she called Stefan.

Stefan was in his room, sitting at his study table, staring at his diary. The events of the previous night were playing in his mind, especially Venice's words. Suddenly, his mobile phone started vibrating, making him look at him. Venice's name popped up as the caller id and his face immediately broke into a small smile, without even realizing it.

"Hey" Venice heard Stefan say.

Venice stayed silent for a few seconds, not expecting him to answer the call.

"Hello? You there?" she heard Stefan asking through the line and that immediately made her say "Yeah! Yeah... Um... Yeah, I'm here... Hi" and Venice immediately wished that Earth will swallow her.

"Hi" he told her.

"So..... I umm... I uh.... I just....." Venice kept muttering, while Stefan kept listening to her.

Venice sighed in exasperation. When she called Stefan, she wasn't expecting to act like a typical high school girl who goes speechless when her crush talks to her. But then Venice reminded herself that she is a high school girl and Stefan is more than a crush to her and she also happens to be pregnant, only her pregnancy is not going at a normal pace. According to Dr. Meredith Fell, the baby can pop out anytime in that month and those were her exact words.

"Well....?" Stefan voiced out, his voice laced with concern.

"Why am I behaving like this?" Venice wondered out and that didn't go unheard by Stefan, but he opted to remain quiet, his smile growing a bit more.

Breathing out heavily, Venice rambled "Ijustwantedtotellyouthatthebabykicked."

There was a moment of silence on the line.

"What?" Stefan asked her, clearly not understanding what she said.

"I uh.... I... Fick this. The baby kicked and I wanted to tell you" Venice said.

Stefan stilled hearing what Venice just said. His mind was a whirlwind of thoughts and cluster of different emotions. He can't believe that time's going on so quickly. He feels like it's only been yesterday when he learned that Venice was pregnant with his child and then guilt started flooding him. He was just so much consumed with a vengeance that he missed the most important part of his and Venice's life. He was just not with Venice when she needed him the most and he hated himself for it.