CHAPTER - 77 : PROVOKE

AT THE SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE:

While Damon and Elena were getting ready to go to Denver to get Jeremy back, afraid that Klaus will compromise his safety, Stefan was in the living room, standing by the furnace, cradling Asher in his arms while the baby boy slept peacefully in his father's arms. Stefan smiled looking at him while gently rocking the baby in his arms. Just then, Damon entered the room, dropping his bag by the entrance, looking all ready for the journey.

"You hear from Klaus?" Damon asked.

"Not yet. I'm sure I will soon though" Stefan said, turning around to look at Damon.

He walked towards the nearby table and picked up the white oak stake after shifting Asher into his other arm, while the baby snored slightly.

"He's expecting me to deliver two stakes, I only have one" Stefan said.

"Well, that's gonna be disappointing for him" Damon said, walking towards them and gently caressed Asher's head, smiling a little, looking at his little nephew.

"I'll get it out of Alaric. I just need some time" Stefan said.

"I like that confidence, Stefan. I don't share it, but I like it" Damon said.

"You don't think I can do what it takes" Stefan stated.

"Well, you're good Stefan again. And actively taking on your responsibilities now, being dadda Stefan. You're in control. Sorry, you might get the girl and the kid but you lose the edge. Speaking of..." Damon said and just then Elena walked into the room.

"Where's the mama?" he asked.

"She went to get some stuff of Asher and thought that it'll give me some time to bond with him" Stefan replied.

Damon hummed in response and looked at Elena.

"Have you ever flown first class?" he asked her.

"Who did you have to compel for that?" Elena asked.

"Pft, please. I use miles" Damon replied.

Damon picked up the luggage and walked out the door while Elena walked towards Stefan and cooed looking at Asher. She gently caressed the baby's cheek, kissed his cheek, looked at Stefan and nodded curtly. Stefan nodded back and Elena turned around and left.

*****

While Asher slept peacefully in his nursery, Stefan decided to make things work rather quickly and utilize the time that he has in his hands, especially since Asher's asleep and Venice was also not here to witness what he's planning to do with Ric, if the later's alter ego doesn't cooperate. So, he went downstairs, to the basement towards the cell where Ric was locked and looked through the rods of the metal door to look at Ric who was laid on the cot with his eyes closed.

"Do you know how hard it is to fall asleep when that is what you're supposed to do?" Ric asked, opening his eyes.

"Well, look, I know it's not easy so" Stefan held up a whiskey bottle and added "Damon suggested that I bring something to help speed up the process."

"What the hell" Ric stated and sat up with a sigh, putting Moby Dick that was previously lying open on his chest, on the bed - next to him as Stefan entered the cell.

Stefan handed the bottle to Alaric and grabbed a chair.

"You know, I'll feel decidedly less pathetic if I don't drink alone" Ric said, unscrewing the cap of the bottle.

"Oh, I am one step ahead of you" Stefan said, showing Alaric a glass and sat down in the chair. 

He held his glass out and Alaric poured some whiskey in it. They both drank it, Stefan from the glass, and Alaric from the bottle.