40

"Do you know why you were born stronger than other people, Kyojuro?" He remembered his mother asking him once upon a time — a question his young self never even thought about before his mother asked.

"People who were born and blessed with greater abilities than others," he still remembered her sharp yet soft red eyes gleaming down at him as she serenely explained, "Have to use their power for the world. The people."

Kyojuro chuckled half-heartedly as he remembered the shock of his mother admitting soon after how she wouldn't be alive much longer because of her sickness, making him realize how fragile life can be — how even a strong woman like her could crumble in front of the nature of death.

"It is a blessing to be the mother of such a strong, gentle child."

"Same goes for me, Oka-san," Kyojuro murmured softly as his eye followed the rays of Sun falling on his hands through the window beside him, "It is an honour to have someone like you give birth to me..."

'Did I...' he closed his right eye as he lowered his head, feeling a strange kind of conflict in his chest as he thought to himself, 'Did I do everything right, mother? Was I able to fulfill everything I was supposed to carry out?'

He shook his head as the strange ache in his chest grew — that question didn't matter right now. He was alive and still had a lot to do to keep his promise; especially after what happened a few days ago... especially after what happened to Miyasha because of his incapacity.

'But still,' he thought absent-mindedly as he used his right hand to weave through his now shorter and even more unruly hair, 'I can't help but feel like this was supposed to be my end... like I wasn't supposed to see the Sun beyond that day.'

And Kyojuro honestly didn't know how to feel about that.

Surviving wasn't a new thing for him, but this strange feeling like he wasn't supposed to, was a new one for him — maybe it was because Sarota took most of the brunt instead of him? Would she even wake up with all the injuries she has? Is this his survivor's guilt acting up?

It was a sudden knock that interrupted his thought process, making him look towards the door of his private medical room where Kocho stood with a sympathetic smile on her face.

"Gomene, Rengoku-san," she slowly entered as he tried to sit up to greet her, "Did I disturb you?" She noticed him struggling with his one arm to get up, "Do you need my help?"

Kyojuro nodded mutely as she quickly stepped in to help him sit up — his left shoulder was completely shattered from his collar bone, making movement severely painful and difficult while his impaired vision due to his left eye being smashed disabled him from even having a proper vision to adjust his position.

'It'll be a matter of time before I get used to these.' His mind told him as he thanked Shinobu for her kindness — he knew his body might heal him a bit while most of it might stay as permanent, but that didn't mean he didn't struggle right now.

And that certainly didn't mean it didn't remind him of his incapacity to save Sarota while she dived in to protect him. And he had even promised to save everyone there.

"Rengoku-san?" He turned to Kocho and slightly tilted his head upon noticing her violet gaze already on him, "Are you... ready for the report meeting? If you're too much in pain, we can arrange it in here, for your convenience."