2

The first clear sight I had of, after I was born again, was the colossal grey eyes of a woman.

My mother.
Her eyes shone with overwhelming love and adoration —  the only thing I seemed to remember clearly from that day. Aside from the feeling of birth, of course.

As for hearing things around me, they all spoke in a tongue I couldn't exactly pinpoint. I mean, I seemed to recall the language a bit but I just couldn't figure out which one it was. And the ambiguity of the language remained as such for my first few weeks in this new world.

Yes, new world because even though I felt like I knew the language, I was sure as hell I didn't know this world. It felt so foreign. And not even in the typical reborn kinda sense.

No.
It was like, the air was clearer and... different.

I did know that I could be simply living in the countryside or something but it was still too different for that to be true. It was as if the air was charged — just like how it feels when static electricity generates on your skin due to excessive friction. Similar to that but not quite the same. And it changed with every person I came near to.

Actually, it was almost with every other organism, not just people. Every living thing had an oddly charged, energized air around them; was this what they called aura? Or was I tripping on some otherworldly acid?

I didn't know.
I didn't even know how I should react at this moment, as I was busy doing nothing but sleeping. And even when I was awake, I couldn't think about things without worrying about the humans present around me.

Especially after that one time when I sat on the playing mat and let my thoughts wander. The humans around me had gotten so worried that I was communicating with some sort of spirit or something, that they exorcised the whole place. 

And yes, 'place' because I was not yet familiar with the location where I was now or how many humans were there, living with me — my senses were still dull and my thinking capability was still quite slow. Maybe because my brain was still developing? Who knows at this point.

The only thing I could understand right now was that the charged energy, which I presumed to be the auras of other people, was what made me remotely aware of anyone being around me — indirectly helping me to avoid looking suspicious to people and think without any pretence once I couldn't sense anyone around me. 

Still, it was quite difficult to move and even roll over as an infant. In fact, the most irritating thing amongst all was how I had to depend on others to do everything for me and how I was restricted to a single room so that I wouldn't hurt myself.

But that wasn't all; I couldn't even remember anything major of my past life yet either. Everything was hazy in a strange fogged kind of way that made my head feel muddled if I pressured myself to remember anything.

Maybe this was because I was reborn?
But, in that case, why would there even be any traces of my past memories?

Was it just God deciding to play with me because I didn't believe in him in my past life?