29

A/N: Long-ass chapter with several changes.
And thanks to Dark Princess Ayane from fanfiction.net for her letting me use her fanfic idea in this chapter! (More details in the end)

________________________________________

"Message! Message!"

Giyuu's heart skipped several beats at the sudden announcement, coupled with Shinobu's surprise attack at him which occurred almost at the same time.

"I have a message from headquarters!" The crow declared, circling the area just above their heads.

He still dared not look away; the blade at the base of Shinobu's shoe was just a few inches away from his face and even though she had stopped for now due to the crow coming in, he knew her better.

"Tanjiro, Nezuko and Miyasha are to be taken into custody and brought back to the headquarters!" The crow yelled, making him finally look towards the crow.

'To the... headquarters?' Shinobu's eyes widened; this was the first time something like this had ever happened.

"Tanjiro, Nezuko and Miyasha are to be taken into custody and brought back to the headquarters!" The crow repeated as finally Giyuu released Shinobu from his hold, "Tanjiro, dressed in a checkered haori, with a scar on his forehead! Nezuko, a demon girl with a bamboo muzzle! Miyasha, a civilian woman with white kimono!"

Shinobu immediately moved away from Giyuu, looking at him warily for a few seconds as the crow repeated his announcement to bring them back again and again.

'Who is Miyasha, I wonder...' Shinobu sheathed her sword, watching her fellow Hashira doing the same.

"Bring them back! Bring them back!" The crow yelled in the background as both the Hashiras started moving forward without any further exchange of words.

'To the headquarters...' Shinobu pondered on the crow's announcement, 'But why? Was Oyakata-sama aware of this...? And who is the third person the Kasugai menti-' Shinobu's thoughts were interrupted suddenly when she noticed Giyuu deviating from the path.

"Ah, Tomioka-san," she sweetly started, her irritation with his earlier behaviour leaking through her voice, "The path to leave this mountain is in this direction."

Giyuu didn't answered her - as usual - making her even more annoyed by each passing minute.

"Where are you going, Tomioka-san? Trying to escape?" Shinobu asked directly, slowly following him through the forest as he walked through without giving her any proper answer.

'What is he doing...'

"Tomioka-san, if you don't come with me quietly, then I may have to restrain you." She warned seriously, almost going to reach out to him when he answered.

"To her."

"What?"

"She is injured." He softly started, still walking forward with his indifferent expression, "So, I'm going to retrieve her."

"Retrieve whom?" Shinobu asked in mild curiosity, trying her best to bury her growing irritation. Instead of answering, Giyuu merely glanced at her, making Shinobu even more irritated with his lack of answers.

But before she could demand anymore answers from him, they reached a clearing in the forest. It was very evident that the clearing in the forest wasn't a natural one- uprooted and broken trees littered the edge of the clearing and she could easily see a... person tied and hanging from a tree branch.