50

The biggest disadvantage Tengen ever faced due to his shinobi background, other than his ever-present guilt, was in understanding people — or rather their connections and emotions.

It wasn't like he didn't understand the basis of relationships and why they were formed or their general theme, because he did. However, he always felt like there was a gap in his understanding when he watched them play out in front of him, especially in the cases of relationships of familial nature.

Maybe it was because of his own dysfunctional family but relationships always seemed complicated to Tengen, like a distant scene playing in front of him as the audience.

This was also one of the main reasons why he couldn't imagine himself having a family.

Don't get him wrong, he loved his wives dearly and knew they would love to have a family with him but the concept of having his own family felt so foreign to him that he almost felt disconnected from even the idea of it.

And this uncomfortable yet familiar emotion was exactly what he felt when he watched Sarota interact with her three-idiot package.

Maroon eyes narrowed as Tengen watched the violet-haori female scold the kids around her, her expression seeming as exhausted as her tone yet even he could detect the affection in her mannerisms.

It was strange seeing Sarota act like that if he had to admit it. Since he got to know her through her 'seniors' along with the letters of Kyojuro and her own ones that she sent him, he knew her as someone more fun, formal and rather sarcastic — even his own interactions with her were mostly like that only.

But seeing her like this, acting in such a 'motherly' and adult manner somehow made him feel like it was exaggerated. Not a lie or pretence per se, but he was sure it didn't completely suit her.

However, it wasn't like he knew her any better, so he couldn't say anything for sure beyond relying on his basic intuition.
Though he won't lie, the whole chaos and her reaction to it were hilarious.

"We should start moving if we want to start our mission by tonight."

Tengen hummed as he watched Sarota declare that with a hint of annoyance, his own amusement dimming a bit as his mind went back to his wives.

While he never forgot about his wives' situation, the thought of them being safe for now still gave him a sense of security he was once desperately searching for.
He knew this sense of security was only temporary and more fragile than even a spider's web, but it still helped him somewhat return to his wits.

It wasn't like him to be this desperate or even this hasty but...

Human lives were on the line.
And three of them were of his own wives whom he promised to protect at every cost.

"So," he heard one of the three idiots piping up, "Where are we going, geezer?"

Tengen felt irritated at the lack of respect as he turned to teach them a lesson. However, Sarota was faster and closer than him as she smacked the buff one out of the three idiots.

"Manners, Ino!" Her annoyed tone coupled with her exasperated expression made Tengen smile as she continued, "He is not only our senior but also a Hashira! Treat him with respect, all three of you!"

"We are going to the most flamboyant place in all of Japan, filled with lust and greed," Tengen said once the three idiots quietened down, his lips twitching into a smirk as he continued, "The 'Red light District' where the demon lives."

"Red... light District?" The big forehead idiot asked as he turned to Tengen with the most innocent look he had ever seen on any boy.

The Sound Hashira gave them a blank look as he turned to Sarota who only shrugged in response.