41

Darkness was not something new to me. But this new, continuous one was.

To be honest, I was fairly used to really dark nights — especially considering how demon hunting was solely an activity for the night — but this sort of permanent one...

It made me feel uncomfortable.
And I wasn't sure what I could do about it.

Don't get me wrong, I won't change a single thing if I was given the chance — well, maybe prepare more of my blood to melt that asshat Akaza down, but otherwise, I didn't mind how things turned out to be. I think.

Well, Rengoku being alive was worth it, if nothing else. And I do have my aura-sensing abilities to feel and work, right?

Then why did this permanent darkness feel strange to me? Why was it that I almost felt...

...helpless in it?

"Miyasha-san?" Shinobu's soft voice jolted me out of my thoughts, "Are you alright?"

I chuckled lightly at her worry; she's been like this for the past few days since I woke up — her voice soft, worry evident and continuous dotting. If the reason for her worry wouldn't have been as obvious, I would have thought she had adopted me.

"I'm fine, Shinobu-san, no need to worry!" I turned to smile in the direction I heard her voice from, "And I hope you got all the samples you need of my blood?"

"Hai," I almost felt her nod as her short hair brushed against my lifted arm, "Just, let me clean it again once and put an ointment over it."

"Oh, you don't nee—"

"Your blood is very unique, Miyasha-san," Shinobu interrupted me with a somewhat sharp voice, "You should be very careful with your wounds because of it. Otherwise, it will cause you more problems than it already does — I can't believe how you are so careless about your own health while having such a high tendency to get hurt."

This time my chuckle turned into a burst of full belly laughter as my brain caught up to her exasperation, making the other female huff from what I could hear.

"I'm sorry for laughing," I apologized with no real remorse as my voice still bounced with laughter, "It's just, you sounded so young and sweet when you said that! It almost reminded me of Aoi, I swear."

It took Shinobu a few moments to respond back to me, making me wonder if I said something wrong as she gave me a watered-down response of how she needed to change the bandages around my eyes too.

These were the moments I wished the most to be able to see again because my overall ability to deduce how the other person was feeling had decreased significantly.

"Okay, so I shouldn't open my eyes, at all, right?" I finally asked once Shinobu removed my bandages and inspected the recovery around my eyes.

"Not for at least a week," Shinobu's voice made me shiver with how it was right next to my left ear, "Your eyes would be really sensitive right now, with all that damage. I'll strongly advise you to keep it covered completely at all times — or at least closed if not covered."

"Mm, sounds rather ominous, not gonna lie." I commented jokingly as I felt her move away from me, the bandages still off my face as the cream around my eyes dried, "What about the area around my eyes? Did they... melt?"

I felt Shinobu's calm aura shift as her hands gently cupped my cheek, making me suppress another shiver while I felt her lean towards me. Her aura almost smothered my senses with her being this close to me.

"There are some cuts around your face," I felt her fingers roam on what I assumed where my cuts were, "But most seem to have healed just fine. Your body has a very good healing ability, Miyasha-san~"