57

There was a noticeable shift between my dynamics with Shinobu — something which I hadn't quite anticipated but didn't mind either.

It wasn't anything serious; it was only that she started seeking me out more than she did earlier, asking for my opinions and advice while also retrieving samples of my blood to run her tests on it.

In fact, I didn't even quite notice it at first — not until her reasons for seeking me out started disappearing but she found me and spent time with me regardless of any.

It made me feel quite honoured if I had to be honest.
I would even say that we were getting much closer now than we were ever before.

However, I wasn't that delusional to believe it so blindly, knowing how complex Shinobu was as a person. Taking her at face value would be akin to being willfully ignorant.

Though, that didn't mean I was blind to her signs either.

"I'm so sorry," I apologised while laughing as I wiped a tear off the corner of my eyes, "I genuinely apologise on behalf of my two menaces. And thank you for looking after them too, despite how much they disrupted your schedule."

"It wasn't as bad as it sounds," Shinobu admitted, her face looking much more lax than I had ever seen, "They were, are, very obedient still. Yes, they were disruptive but I have handled worse."

"I'm still sorry though," I apologised much more sincerely this time, "And honestly, I really appreciate you looking after the twins. And me. You have been one of our biggest help and supporter, Shinobu-san and it wouldn't be an exaggeration if I said that the Demon Slayer Corps wouldn't be what it is today without your contributions."

The smile that spread on Shinobu's lips looked much more genuine yet bitter than I was used to seeing, making me realize once again why I thought we were becoming closer.

"I hope I can continue it, then," she replied softly, her neutral tone sounding almost unfamiliar to me as she took a sip of the tea I had prepared previously.

"Don't worry," I decided to finally reply, "You'll do great. You already are doing amazing and I know you'll continue doing so, Shinobu-san."

She didn't quite seem to believe my words but still accepted them nonetheless as she gave me a small smile before changing the topic towards another story about the twins, essentially distracting me successfully as we continued swapping stories while sipping our tea.

It not only gave us a common ground to bond over as we both badmouthed and laughed at the shenanigans the twins pulled in the past but also acted as a sort of teasing material that we could use to bully those two menaces to no end.

It definitely made things interesting when the twins came to visit me again in the mornings since Shinobu didn't leave even one chance to tease them and that was honestly my favourite thing about her. I didn't just like her the most in my past life for no reason.

In fact, while Shinobu was a complex character, she was also one that I related to the most in my past life; suppressing emotions while trying her best for the sake of those left behind with her. This was how I perceived her to be, as my favourite character from the anime.

However, interacting with her in real life made me realize she was much beyond that as well; a fact that I knew would be as such and was surprised still since I didn't quite expect her to act this... young.

Young and broken.

It broke my heart to see her this way and yet there was little I could do or even say, given my disposition.

That's exactly why the thought of us becoming closer made me feel honoured and happier.
I knew it was not my duty or even within my abilities to change her mind and attitude but I still wanted to help her at least a little bit. I still wanted to reduce her suffering and loneliness as much as I could.