15

They were always different from others, and they knew it— they saw and felt it as well, especially when people kept pointing out how similar they were.

At one point, it was all they were ever told— how similar they were, how similar they worked and how similar they should be. Being different from one another was out of question for them, especially when even their own families treated them like one entity.

Hiroshi used to wonder if their mother even loved them individually. Did they had an identity beyond each other? Was his desire to be different from his brother... wrong?

Hitoshi sympathized with his brother, wondering about the answer of the same question.

It wasn't like they didn't love each other— how could they not? After all, they were a part of the same soul. Working with one another was way simpler because it didn't feel like they were working with a different person. And maybe that was the reason why they couldn't let others into their circle.

But ojisan was somehow different.
And even though Hiroshi and Hitoshi missed their late family, they were somehow, somewhat glad of the fateful day when their family...

...was massacred.
It was wrong feeling this way, they knew, but they couldn't help but appreciate the day because they met their kind teacher, who understood them better than their own parents and never compared them; nor did he expect them to always act similar to one another.

They were free of the bounds that held them forcibly together, and were now given the space to breathe; to explore themselves.

Hiroshi was glad to be the more quiet one, leaving the vocalizing part to his twin who was very happy to open and loud. Indeed, they both were part of the same soul - but not the perfect equal halves.

But Miyasha... was not someone they knew how to deal with.

They stood frozen as they saw the demon strangling Miyasha— her small frame struggling to free itself from the vice grip of the creature on her small body till her last breath was exhausted. And Hiroshi, for the first, saw what ojisan meant by the spirit of a warrior.

Suddenly Hitoshi ran towards the demon and rotated clockwise on his left leg, tucking his right up against his chest before striking out at his full power at the demon with the heel of his shoe. That resulted in an impressive— and rather disgusting —squashing of several of the demon's vines around the base of his head.

In the split second that followed it, four things happened simultaneously.

The demon yelled in shock and sudden, pain due to its extensions been suddenly destroyed. Ojisan cutting off the demon's head in a smooth, clean cut. The demon's grip on Miyasha loosening, causing her body— still somewhat wrapped in the demon's extensions —falling towards to the hard ground and Hiroshi running at his full speed to catch Miyasha's falling body.

Thankfully, her body fell exactly on his lap; the damn demon had her small body hanging from a good few meters above the ground. Hiroshi immediately started unwrapping her delicate frame from those despicable vine like things.

By the time he tore those demonic vines off of her body, she was already unconscious.

"Take her inside, now." Ojisan ordered, his voice stern with worry.

And for the first time in eleven years of Hiroshi's life, he didn't wait for his twin to come with him.

(~<>~)

"W-Will she be okay?" Hiroshi cursed himself for his stutter— it wasn't like she was dying.

"She will be," the older male confirmed as he entered the twins' room. "But it'll take her some time to. She doesn't has much damage, thanks to you catching her Hiroshi, but has faced some wounds due to been dragged around."