44

Warning:

Mentions of anxiety attack.

_________________________________________

I was waiting for Tomioka at our usual timing when I heard the rain start falling again — an occurrence that shouldn't be surprising me much, since it has been raining on and off for the last two days, but still did due to my very evident lack of sight.

That and I didn't have any extraordinary hearing or smelling sense like the main cast.

'Oh well,' I mused wryly as I combed through Nezuko's hair while she slept on my lap, 'At least I got some original powers for my character. Or is it still quite typical for fanfictions?'

My attention diverted back to the sleeping demon girl on my lap as the said demon shifted and nuzzled into my hand that was combing her long hair absent-mindedly.

Lord, she was adorable.

Ironically enough, while Tanjiro actively avoided me, or maybe avoided everyone if what Zenitsu said was true, Nezuko was the one who seemed to try to make up for it as she actively sought me out to... well, sleep on me usually?

It was strange, really. But, then again, I didn't mind that at all even if all she did upon finding me was sit on my lap and roll around or sleep at her absolute best.

"Such an adorable yet unfortunate child," I muttered as I gently caressed her head with my other hand, "You deserve so much more than your fate has offered you... Trust me, I'll try my best to make things turn out better for everyone."

I promised her quietly as I heard the thunder crackle loudly outside, making the whole atmosphere rather serene and still.

This was the kind of weather I liked and craved in my past life the most — cloudy with heavy rain and cool breeze. Not only it was a great weather to stay home but also an amazing opportunity to either catch up on my books or maybe write some edgy poetry.

But in this life? Well, I still remember being very irritated by rain the first few of my travelling years as the clouds showered down any kind of plan I made, delaying my trip by a good few hours while I waited for the pouring to stop.

Oh, and don't get me started on the mud and bloody insects that came out after a good shower of rain. Lord, was that a nightmare to navigate through — especially when I had to travel through villages.

I shook my head to get those icky thoughts out; while I didn't mind mud or the insects particularly, a good few hours in them still made me quite irritated and exhausted.

Damn, what days were those.

I shook my head again, this time in amusement as I kept patting the girl in my lap and enjoyed the quiet noise of the heavy rain showering down outside.

'Maybe senpai won't be able to come today,' I wondered absent-mindedly.

It has been a whole day since Tomioka dropped me off at the Butterfly Estate and told me to 'take the day to myself and rest' despite us doing no proper training the previous day.

However, I still appreciated it a lot since I needed some time to sort out my thoughts; I knew why I was feeling this way as I was but I didn't know how to deal with it. And finally somewhat opening up to someone about how I was feeling made me feel way lighter and considerably better than before — something that I was extremely thankful to Tomioka for.