17

It's strange how used to one becomes to something as the time passes— even if you may think at one point in your life that you cannot live without something, you still get used to living without the said thing once enough time had passed away from it.

The same happened with me— after twelve years in this new world, I finally (somewhat) felt like a part of it. And majority of it was thanks to Shigeno-sensei and the twins, who never lost hope in me. After all, I dis knew how stubborn and know-it-all I could be.

"You're done with the dishes, Miyasha?" Sensei asked suddenly, breaking me out of my musings.

"Hai, sensei." I replied gingerly as I rinsed my hands, "Did you need something?"

"I wanted to talk to you regarding your training." He answered rather casually as he exited the kitchen, "I'll be in the yard— come in when you are ready."

When I'm... ready?
What the hell was this crazy old man up to now?

I mean, sensei was a very good man and a great teacher, but he was very random and unpredictable in his acts— which made him very very difficult to read or handle. Even after training seven years under this man, I was yet to even get used to his mannerisms. At least I could proudly claim that I was better than the twins, even though those two stayed with him way longer than I did.

A nostalgic smile spread on my face as I thought about those two numbskulls; their birthday was just around the corner, and I really hoped they visited the area once. Or at least, sent their crows in with letters or something.

It had been a good eight months or so since their final selection and damn I'm so fucking glad those two idiots made in— but felt low-key scared for them as well because they were now in the front-lines.

That's how much of an idiot I was— attaching myself to people who could easily die before their time due to them being in a 'profession' where they needed to lay down their lives to fight with things that were way beyond their capacity.

'Ironic how you miss them more than the family you left behi' I clamped down on that thought before it could be completed. I didn't want to think about my past any more than I already did; especially when my future was so uncertain— scratch that, even my present was not so certain either. Anything could happen at any moment and I still didn't feel confident enough about the idea of handling any situation on my own...

Regardless of that, I made my way to my room to retrieve the nichirin swords— I was given those to train with just a few days after I had turned twelve. And yes, swords as in plural because for the past seven years, sensei had trained me in dual wielding— wielding a sword in each hand, especially when he noticed that I had a strange imbalance while wielding with either of the hands separately. It was a very strange realization for the both of us; though, it did confirm a lot of things for me.

I was a right-handed person in my last life and I continued with the same habit in this one; but unlike my last life, my left hand in this body is much more... stronger? It was like Miyasha (not me, but the girl who was supposed to be born instead of me-) was supposed to be left-handed. This, in turn, caused me some major mishaps— unconsciously, of course. Like trying to punch or block in self defense with my left hand, which turned out as a very bad reflex because even if it was strong for a non-dominant hand, it wasn't as functional as a dominant one— at least not before my training