53

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

(~<Uncertain Hope Arc>~)

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

As an atheist in my previous life and a begrudgingly, barely theist in this one, I sometimes couldn't help but think that God (or maybe life?) was trolling me.

"Don't fucking die on me, you get that?" I glared at the foul-mouthed Wind Hashira who glared right back at me, "I'm not here to babysit your fucking dumbass."

"I assure you that such an opportunity would not arise," I replied somewhat politely, "And even if it did, I do not think you are much proficient in handling anyone, let alone kids."

Or at least, formally.
I mean, I wasn't being outrightly rude, so that should be polite enough, right?

Well, Sanemi's glare didn't exactly seem to agree with me as he instead sprinted away after the crow rather than dignifying me with a response, which was fair enough, I guess.

I mean, I get it — I can't always get what I want but seriously? Is this how I'll be taught that life lesson, by sending me on a mission with that foul-mouthed, temper-throwing man who could barely tolerate my shadow falling on him?

I could almost feel the veins in my head throbbing as I imagined how disastrous our mission could go, given how violent he was with the demons.

And while I didn't blame him for his attitude towards the demons, he didn't treat humans much better either and that's where I started blaming him.
Even now he was rushing through at a speed which would have been very hard for me to follow if I was not as proficient in running as I was.

'Oyakata-sama sure did fuck me up here, I swear.'

I mean, while I didn't mind him allotting me mission personally, I did mind Hashiras being assigned with me as a means to essentially babysit me in case I somehow injured myself or worse, died.

But, then again, it's not like my track record has been much clean either, with how the Red District mission and that Train mission went. It's not my fault though that I came back injured both times — there were Demon Moons there! In each mission!

Not to mention, everyone came back injured in those missions, not just me! Why the hell was only I getting a babysitter?!

'Not to mention, Oyakata-sama was so fixed at that, too!' I thought bitterly as I looked back at my meeting with Oyakata-sama that afternoon, 'Yes, it's true I somehow got myself that ridiculous reputation as a Demon Moon attractor but so did Tanjiro! Why the fuck was only I not allowed to go on a solo mission?!'

I've never felt this bitter and salty as I did right now, even though I somewhat understood his point.

'Maybe it's because of my blood?' I mused off-handedly while adjusting the glasses up my nose to prevent them from falling off at the current speed we were going.

And yes, I remembered taking my glasses with me this time.

To be fair, it wasn't like I forgot to take my glasses with me on the Red District mission but rather avoided doing so since not many people wear glasses in the current era and hence, they would've just brought unnecessary attention to me which I didn't need at the time.

That's a very different fact that I almost forgot about it completely until I came back to Butterfly Estate today to get my trusted white satchel and got a lecture from Shinobu for not wearing my glasses for the past two weeks.