Chapter 63: Come & The D is Silent

Please excuse ANY grammatical errors.

July 25, 1995

~Dalvin's P.O.V~

Two days ago was my birthday and guess what. My mother just happens to have the baby that day. It's another boy but the point is that it's on MY birthday. Djustin (See what I did there?) was supposed to be born sometime next month. I love my brothers, including the new baby but now I have to share my birthday. My presents are going to be shit from here on out because of it. Yeah, I'm a little jealous because he took my birthday and my place as the youngest. Now I'm a middle child and will feel what Derek felt. Well, maybe not because I'm grown but still...

The baby took my birthday and De's nickname; DJ. They've been calling him that since they knew what they'd name him. The D is fucking silent, yet his nickname is DJ. You say DJ in a room with De, he would answer. It's honestly confusing. Anyways, I am glad that my mother and baby brother are okay. My mother is pretty much healthy but DJ decided to come out early. As far as I know, the delivery went well. Me and De walked into the room where our mother and father were. Derek was already here.

"Where he at?" De asked Derek after he greeted and hugged our parents.

"In the nursery nig- DJ- I mean Junior." Derek chuckled. DeVanté absolutely HATES being called Junior. He said that it sounds too childish and plain, and I agree but we will do it to fuck with him.

De squinted at Derek. "I just got here and you already- alright now, keep on fu- messin' wit' me." He wagged his index finger up and down as Derek.

"You curse in front of me and you will be having a mouth full of soap. I'm not playing with y'all." Pops pointed at us warningly. "Especially you Junior, you been actin' real weird- different lately. More than usually... Anyways, I'll be right back with your brother." Pops told us then left out the room.

De has been acting more different than usual for the past year. I mean, I try to ignore it or dismiss it but something ain't right about this man. I'm not what the hell it is but I see it and eventually want to get to the bottom of this. You see DeVanté has always been what people call weird even with family. I don't think he's weird, my brother is unique and talented as fuck!

Pops attempted to keep him on the path that he wanted for De, but the more pops did that, the more De strayed away from what pops wanted. Do you know how parents say that they never had a favorite child? Well, De, or shall I say Junior was Pops favorite child considering how he's his firstborn and spent more time with him than anyone. Derek and I both knew it. De played a bug part with pops and his gospel band. That changed when De ran away and began to rebel against his and the church's rules.

Now, Derek seems to be his favorite since he's around more and he's still VERY involved with the church. Derek eats that up and would rub it in your face if he was like me but he ain't. Pops is a but angry that I followed right behind De. He acts like it's fine but deep down I know that he's disappointed. He's a Reverend and the reverend's children ended up singing and writing the songs that we do. What he don't know if he didn't watch the interviews that De had those songs in a notebook for YEARS.

"How's it going mother?" I asked and hugged

"I'm doing fine, baby. What about you two?" She smiled at all of her kids but was of course talking to me and De.