Chapter 46: Come & Play Basketball

Please excuse ANY grammatical errors.

April 12, 1993

~Rick's P.O.V~

Leaving Gary is a big relief, even if it's just for a week. I'm tired of the drama and my mama's constant nagging and yelling. The only thing I'll miss on this little break is the people I play basketball with from the school and the neighborhood. Atlanta is way more warmer than Gary. It's April and it's STILL snowing back home. I'm happy that someone in my family that actually grew up there has made it out.

We have so many family members that turn they're noses up at us, thinking they all mighty God himself. That shit never sat right with me, so we are determined to make it. I will be one of the next ones, mark my words. One of these days somebody important will see me play ball and be impressed and want to draft me. I'm one of the best players in Gary, hell even Indiana. I was so good that the coach allowed me to play fro high school when I was still in middle school. Basketball is my life, that's all I got to look forward to besides the girls that come and go.

"I ain't passin' the ball to yo SORRY ass no mo'!" Yas yelled at De. "You fuckin' suck!"

"You should stick to music!" Tay told him which caused everybody to laugh.

"Fuck y'all, I'm good at this!" De yelled back, a sweating mess, leaning his hand on his knees in a squatting position.

"You suck HARD! Your jump shot is WAYYYYY OFF!" Tia yelled out from the kitchen window that was open.

That nigga De suck ASS in basketball, or maybe I'm just too good. Me and Tay on teams and De and Yas on teams. Yas is real mad that he on his team. De the second tallest dude here and he is the sorriest one here. We are at my auntie and uncle house, Tia and Yas's mama and step dad back yard. They have a basketball court. I ain't wanna be around that faggot at Tia's house, so I'm here playing basketball.

"Aye, can you give us somethin' to drank?" Yas asked his sister.

"Yeah." She moved away from the window to go to the fridge, I assume.

"Okay, y'all might be on to somethin'. Let's just say that am horrible at basketball. Hypothetically speakin'! I'm good as hell in baseball." De said out of breath.

"Hypothetically? You ARE horrible. Ain't no dang on hypothetical." I said shaking my head at him.

"We don't play no baseball." Tay spoke up. "Ion know what you so tired for when you did a whole lotta nothin'." He chuckled.

"Think fast!" Tia yelled from the window, throwing out bottles of water. One hit De in his head, and another one slammed against my chest.

"He suck, but you do too. I had open arms for that bottle and you hit my chest. Check ye aim Tia!" I said picking the bottle up from the ground.

As kids me and Tia would get our asses whooped together, and quietly talk smack about our mama's afterwards. I got the most whippings though. Let's face it, I get into trouble and still do, due to the people I hang around. Me and Tia used to be close as kids but as we grew up, I noticed her stray away from the family and stay to herself.

We'd talk about what we wanted to be as adults. Tia's occupation always varied, it was always between a chef, a lawyer, and when we were VERY young, dang near toddlers, it was a robot. I wanted to be a firefighter until I started playing basketball.