Chapter 65: Come & The Otherside

This song fits perfectly with this chapter. Listen to it y'all!

Please excuse ANY grammatical errors.

September 30, 1995

~Donald DeGrate Sr. P.O.V~

"Po-pops, I think his girlfriend is dead." Dalvin let out.

I moved the phone away from my face for a second and exhaled. Then I out the phone back up to my ear. "Be strong son. You got this and he's got this. God's got this too." I tried to reassure him that everything was going to be fine. Truth be told, I don't even know myself, but I'm hopeful.

"I can be strong any other time, but right now, I'm just weak. I- I can't this time pops. I can't be strong when my brother is in a coma especially when it's my fault." Dalvin whimpered out loud.

"S-son, you right. Let it- let it all out." My voice cracked, because my emotions are through the roof. I held everything back because I can't let my wife see me weak. "I'll be there as soon as I can. Now hang up." I told Dalvin, waiting for him to hand up.

I just want to make sure that he's okay. I still heard slight whimpers on the other side. Then the phone finally hung up. When he hung up, I finally pressed the end call button and out the phone back on the hook. I turned to my wife who was attempting to to feed our fussy son with a bottle. She had tearing up. She got frustrated and sat him up on the bed and gave him his pacifier.

I exhaled. "Mary, we need to find somebody who can babysit so we can go since DJ don't have a passport."

"What happened?" She asked me with a saddened and worried look on her face.

"Dalvin found Junior in the hotel unconscious, he-" I exhaled trying to keep it together. "He said that Junior is in cardiac arrest. He also said that his girlfriend is most likely dead. Junior is in a coma" I finished explaining with my eyes closed.

"Who's going to watch him? We don't know how long we'll be there." She said standing up and grabbing a bunch of clothes out of the closet and sitting them on the bed. "I hope our son is okay and I can't believe Rolita is dead."

I stood up and then DJ started to cry. I grabbed his bottle and picked him up. After laying him in my arms, I stuck the bottle in his mouth. "I have to call Derek." I said holding the bottle up between my chin and neck to grab the phone again.

I dialed Derek's number and waited for him to answer. I switched the position of the bottle and phone. I put the phone between my shoulder and face while I held the bottle. "Pops?" Derek said groggily from the other end.

"Good morning, son." I told him trying not to alarm him.

"Yeah, Pop's it's early in the morning. You don't even be up this early. Is everything good?" There was a shuffling sound on his end.

"No, son, everything is not okay."

"What's goin' on?" His voice was panicky.

"Calm down." I said in a seemingly calm voice although I was nothing but calm. "Are you calm?" I asked him after a while.

"Yes."