5. BBQ

Thursday, Today was going to be a full day of classes and there was no avoiding it. My bag felt heavier then usual on account of having to lug around books for multiple subject. Not to mention, the weather matched my feeling about today perfectly. Dreary with rain. My umbrella protected me from any of the downpour on the walk to class this morning. I'd rugged up more than usual and was wearing light ripped denim that hugged my legs perfectly and an oversized light purple hoodie.

As I sat through morning classes I tried my best to concentrate, only getting sidetracked by my thoughts a couple of times. I wondered about my mum and dad. I hadn't heard from them since I arrived, I know they had their own issues with money and keeping up took a lot of their efforts. Not to mention dad had a bad habit of gambling. As far as I knew, he hadn't been too bad recently but there had been times in the past that it nearly broke us as a family.

He was somehow paying for my apartment but I knew time was ticking away.. I still had to figure out what to do after the month was up and I had to pay for it myself....

My Mum liked drinking. Sometimes a little too much. For the most part she got by without it affecting our family relationship that much.. But, getting ignored over a bottle of wine was fairly normal to me. I'd learnt to rely less on her and dad, and try to hold my own weight. Stand on my two feet. And be unbothered by struggles, no-ones life is perfect. That's just straight facts.

Bells rang signalling lunch break, I finished jotting down the last of my notes for the class before packing up and leaving.

As I walk sombrely down the hall I see two messages on my phone, both are from Jimin and it perks me up a bit.

Jimin: Jiaa ~
Jimin: There's a special event menu today on campus 🤤 Where are you? 👀😏

Jia: Is it in the main cafeteria? If so, like 2 minutes away, are you already there?

Jimin: Yeah 😉 Hurry up, before Tae eats it all lol

I shoved my phone back into my pocket and quickened my pace a bit. The cafeteria was fairly big and crowded with students. I usually went off campus for coffees and lunch for that exact reason but today was a special occasion aparently. I looked around for a moment until I spotted the two I was looking for. It didn't take long because they always stood out like some kind of celebrities.

As I approached their booth I noticed that a few different groups of girls and guys kept glancing over in their direction. I didn't blame them though, how would people NOT be checking them out...? It only made sense. As I reached their table I said "Heyyy" and slid in next to Tae. They both looked up at me from their conversation.

"Hey"Jimin replied while Tae put his hand up to high-five me but I just poked his hand instead and then laughed. "Wha- that was only a high-one, disappointed" he whined before ruffling my hair playfully.

"Hey! Wait, stop!" My hands found his big ones as I reached up and grabbed onto them. I redirected them back towards his lap before letting go. Then I noticed the food on the table.  "Wow this looks so good" I licked at my bottom lip unconsciously.

"Yeah, but, the question is, does it taste good...." Tae tilted his head throwing a playful look at me, eyebrows raised slightly. "How could it look this good and not taste good? It's really unlikely" Jimin licked his lips too.

"Well, let's just try it and find out.." I giggled.

"Yeah. Good idea. Who's first?" Tae asked as he picked up one of the dumplings with his chopsticks. I thought he was going to put it in Jimins mouth but he turned to me with the food coming my way.

"Wha? Me?" I asked in surprise. "Yeah, quick, open up" he said as though it was normal.

I didn't argue and just opened my mouth, it felt so weird for a second, I could feel jimin watching in amusement as Tae gently popped the dumpling into my mouth. I quickly closed my mouth and started chewing.