7. Picnic Writing

Saturday.

I woke up in a really good mood today. I could still recall the raw events of the night before, but, instead, I wanted to think about what was ahead. I took my time getting ready to meet up with Namjoon, we were going to work on some lyrics. It must have been perfect timing because I felt a bit sentimental. That kind of mood always made it easier to write. I danced around to some music while I got ready, deciding to wear some blue jeans and a grey hoodie. Nothing special but that was okay because I had a Karaoke date later, I'd save something sexy for then. I tapped my phone to check the time and saw a message.

NJ: Heeey, is it cool if we meet at Jang-Jae park?

I quickly googled the location, it was close by.

Jia: Yeah sure, see ya soon 😙

NJ: 😎

I closed my phone and collected everything I needed: paper, pens, and a laptop, which I packed into a bag and made my way there. As I stood across the road I could already see Namjoon. I crossed over, he spotted me and walked over.

"So, ready to write a masterpiece?" Namjoon gave a low-key smile as he approached.

"I can't promise anything but I'm gonna give it my best" I nudged his shoulder playfully.

We started walking through the park on a path that wound its way through the trees. Namjoon pointed out a beautiful spot near a pond. So, we went over. To my surprise, he pulled out a picnic blanket from his backpack and laid it out for us to sit on.

"After you," he offered. I took a seat cross-legged and started taking out all of my equipment from my bag. Joon did the same and by the end of it, we had a perfect set-up in front of us.

"I have a couple of ideas in this notepad, did you want to take a look?" I held it up.

"Yeah, let's swap. I'll read yours, you read mine" he offered as he pulled out his notes. It was a cute idea so I agreed. We exchanged notepads and started exploring each other's writing.

As I read through his lines I felt them resonating with my sentiments. The layout was more of a journal format.. he'd written some feelings and thoughts and then cleverly portrayed them in a lyrical form. His writing was... vulnerable but more-so genius. Genius was the best fitting word to describe what I was reading.

"Jia, these are nice. I want to use... " Joon leaned closer into me as he showed me the notepad.

"These.." he began to say as he circled them and flipped the page to find others "And this." When I saw what he's chosen, it made my mind go blank. I'd forgotten I'd even put those drabbles in this book!

"Joon Oppa," I quietly said, only to feel more embarrassed after my words had slipped out. I'd never addressed him that way before but this setting must have been making me feel closer to him than I was consciously aware of.

He must have been as shook as I was because his cheeks flushed but he held his attention towards me nonetheless. I let it go and instead pointed out something I'd read in his notebook that stood out.

"Oh," he hesitated for a moment before giving a shy laugh "You sure you like that..?"

"Yes! This is genius, and it ties into a theme with the elements you picked in my notes." I suggested. A small hm came from him as he thought about it for a moment.

"Yeah, I think you're onto something here! Hold on, let me write it out." He began jotting stuff down on a fresh page eagerly.

There was a faint sound of pen to paper filling the small silence as he wrote. I took that time to look at the lush greenery surrounding us. It was so beautiful and peaceful here, my gaze was then drawn towards Joon. For some reason, I couldn't break away from the sight of him. Maybe it was the way he was sitting or the way he was in his world as he wrote. The sounds of the pen against paper were soothing. This moment brought a comfort that I was having trouble describing... I was brought back to reality as he looked up at me.