1. Humble Beginnings

Beginnings were always awkward for me. Whenever I started something new, my stomach would tie itself into a nervous knot.

I had gotten up early, been for a run, showered, and eaten breakfast. Some tunes played from the laptop that sat on my bed as I peered into my wardrobe, wondering what to wear. I wanted to make a good impression on my first day. This is because most of my past 'first days' hadn't worked out so well... Those memories weren't something I wanted to dwell on, so I swallowed them down.

My eyes skimmed over a cute light blue dress that fell below the knee. I thought about it for a second... Would this be too much?

Oh well. Let's just do it, zero regrets, right?

I grabbed it and slipped it on. After taking a glance in the mirror, I felt confident about pairing it with a long thin embroidered blue and white cardigan and some cute, thin bracelets.

Okay, Jia. You've got this, let's go!

I closed my laptop, cleaned up the few loose lyric sheets laying on my bed and then grabbed my bag. Some low wedges were by the front door, so I slipped them on. Making sure I have everything I need, I leave the apartment. The door clicks shut behind me.

The walk down the hall was a few strides away from the elevator, and the wait time wasn't long. As I stepped out of the apartment block, I felt the warm rays of the sun. A light breeze ruffled the bottom of my dress. It was so refreshing that I couldn't help but smile. Luckily, the campus wasn't far. After about five minutes of walking down the somewhat busy city street, a more open area came into view;

A large pond connected two of the buildings, giving it a modern, yet peaceful, traditional feel. The campus was so huge that even from this view, I couldn't see all of it. But from what I could see, it was aesthetically pleasing. I grabbed my phone out of my bag and checked my timetable. The building I needed wasn't far, so I made my way there. I got to the classroom I was looking for easily.

As I walked in, I saw that there weren't as many people as I'd expected

As I walked in, I saw that there weren't as many people as I'd expected. Perhaps everyone came at the last minute or this topic wasn't very popular.

As I looked up the aisles, I noticed a set of free seats. It was close enough to a small group of girls that I might talk with and make friends. I walked up the small steps of the aisle. As I shuffled into the row and sat down, a few of the girls looked my way, so I smiled and gave a brief wave. But they turned their backs and started whispering...

Had I done something wrong?

I decided not to worry about it. I'm sure there would be more opportunities to make friends. With that in mind, I started thinking about the class subject which was the Korean Language. This subject was an important one for my major, so I should probably just focus on that.

I took out my things and set them up to take notes. Suddenly, I saw the chair beside me being pulled back as if someone was about to sit right next to me. I turned my head slightly to see a blonde guy. He looked back at me plainly before breaking out into an endearing smile.