11. Street Dance

Tuesday had arrived. This morning, before class, I needed to try and give my parents a call. I hadn't heard from them since I'd gotten here and to be honest, it was a little worrying. So, I took a seat on the couch and dialled my Mum. The tone echoed through the apartment as I waited. A second later, her voice came through on the other end.

"Hello? Jia?"

"Mum, yea it's me. How are you?"

"Oh it's good to hear from you, I'm alright" she replied, "How're your studies?"

"They are going well!" I told her. I heard a faint noise in the background that sounded like my dad.

"Jia" My mum's voice suddenly dropped slightly, it gave me the feeling that something was off.

"Yes..?" I hesitated, not really wanting to hear anything bad.

"There's something I need to tell you. Please don't be disappointed," she began to say.

"...Yes?" I now knew something had definitely happened.

"It's about the rent... Your Father is.. going through some debt troubles and.." I gathered that this wasn't what she was wanting to tell me so I stopped her before she could finish.

"It's fine! Don't worry. I've got a job and I'm saving now. How long do I have?" I started mentally trying to calculate how much I needed and get an idea of the time frame.

"Well, that's the thing.. I'm so sorry sweetie. It will only cover it until the end of this week." Her voice was sombre. I felt my heart sink a little at the news. It was somewhat sudden, I knew it was coming but not this soon.

"It's okay, I'll figure it out.'' In all honesty, I was trying to reassure myself more than her. I heard a loud crash in the background and my mum panicked.

"Oh shit sorry baby I have to go, I'll call you later."

I sat there for a moment as the call dialled out. A flood of thoughts started going through my head. How the hell was I supposed to get the money by the end of this week...?

I sighed and fell back onto the couch. My head started to feel heavy at the thought of it all. After a few minutes of trying to calm down and think logically, I pulled out my laptop and started sending out resumes for any job I could find. I spent most of my day doing this until it was time for my afternoon class.

It was hard to concentrate as I sat through the lecture. The professor's words went in one ear and out the other. I gazed out the window at the campus scenery that lay outside, giving in to my thoughts.

The bell rang, snapping me out of it, so I quickly shoved everything inside my bag and went to go and find Hoseok. I'd promised I would go and watch him perform this afternoon and even though I was stressed out, I couldn't leave him hanging after he'd gone to the trouble of inviting me. As I walked down the street I passed by some clubs, one, in particular, had a notice board and when I took a closer look I saw that they were scouting for workers.

I stopped momentarily to read it, only to realise they were hiring new hostesses. This sort of job was one that you could make really good money from if you were good at what you did. I decided to take one of the contact flyers and shoved it in my bag. I could always give it a try and if it wasn't for me I could just find something else and quit later...

I kept walking until I started to see the familiar sight of a crowd gathered on the street side. Did they already start? I panicked a bit, not wanting to be late and missing out! I jogged up, relieved to see that no one was dancing yet and that they were still setting up.

The fact that the crowd had already gathered was a good sign, maybe Hobi's dance crew was famous around these parts. Speaking of Hobi, I should probably find him and say hi before the show begins.