55. Pretty As A Petal

Tuesday

After waking up, thoughts of the night before floated around in my head. The park, Jimin's words etched in my mind. I decided to go for a run, hoping that the fresh air might be easing and provide clarity.

When I got back I noticed there was an envelope on the table, it appeared to be quite thick. Before I could take a look my message tone sounded, it was from Joon.

NJ: Just dropped past but you weren't home, Reira asked me to pass over your payslip so I left it on the table

Jia: I just got back from a run, thanks Joon 💛

NJ: No problem 😉

I unfolded the envelope and peeked inside feeling a bit apprehensive at the thickness. This can't be right, right? I flicked through the bills, there was 15,000 dollars in there. Holy shit. I've only done one shift... I thought it would be a lot, maybe 4-8 thousand tops but... It started to sink in, relief replacing my surprise.

This kind of money meant I wouldn't have to worry about paying for school. And, it was just in time.. I stashed the money away in my room before going for a shower and getting ready for my last class of the semester. Maybe fate had finally decided to be a bit kinder to me.

I wore a light, straight baby-pink skirt and a white long-sleeve knit blouse and pinned my hair back with a cute pink bow clip. It matched the weather outside today perfectly. The campus seemed quieter than usual, probably due to exams beginning this week. I'd been looking down at my phone, walking through the corridor when I felt a hard bump to my shoulder.

"Oh sorry" I looked up, apologising out of reflex, thinking it had been because I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking but, I soon realised that wasn't the case.

"Watch where you're going." One of the two girls, who both looked like they were a bit rough around the edges was sassing me hard right now.

"Huh? What's your problem?" I snapped back, confused at this unprovoked confrontation. Like, why was she trying to fight me right now?

"Problem?" She snorted. Her friend was eying me like I'd just come out of a dumpster or something. "Only problem around here are those looser sellout idols you always hang out with." She gave a short laugh before she and her friend moved on.

I was speechless. Who in their right mind has the audacity to go up to a stranger and talk so much shit. The encounter had left a bitter aftertaste as I sat through class. The more I thought about it the angrier I got. Kicking myself that I didn't fire back something at her but, in hindsight, at the time I was too shocked.

Lunch came around so I had a sandwich before going to the studio to discuss lyrics with Yoongi. I knock a few times on the door before I hear his voice call for me to come in. As I do, the mood around him felt off. His hair is askew, he's slumped back in his chair at the production desk glancing coldly at me.

"So, what are these lyrics you wanna show me?" He cuts straight to the point. I decided to tread lightly, taking a seat beside him and quietly pulling out the sheets of paper from my bag. He takes them from me and starts flipping through them.

My gaze wanders over the table, a bottle of Soju catches my eye. Beside it are two white pills still in their package, I felt my insides churning.

"Is your shoulder still hurting?" My question sits in the air for a moment, Yoongi's delayed response making me feel even more unsettled.

"You're here to give me lyrics, not a lecture." He shot back, it was glacial.

"What's going on with you?" I pressed, it was turning out to be one thing after another today. It was frustrating, I couldn't read his mind, on the contrary, I'd thought he was doing alright. The heavy look he'd been giving me cracked, he broke into twisted laughter. It was unnerving. Had he lost his mind?