49. Precarious

Third Person

Confusion.

Ryder was left in utter confusion as he walked down what seemed the endless streets. His thoughts overwhelming his mind, making him care any less of avoiding people in general. The information he had received hours before tossed and turned in his head.  

Louis.

That's what Matias had mentioned before he urged Ryder to leave. An unnatural force had taken over Matias for the time being and Matias had only enough of his will to utter a few words before his thoughts became incoherent. Ryder didn't understand how Louis could help him with the subject in hand. Those boys wanted nothing to do with him and as far as he had taken notice they didn't want anything to do with Camila. 

Uncovering.

Finding out what Simon was trying to hide, would mean putting his life on the line. Ryder could care less at the moment. What worried him was how he could explain this to his Mila. Telling her, explaining to her, what he has been doing ever since he noticed there was something quite off wasn't something he could just thrust at her. How she'd take it- was at stake. She could possibly hate him for doing this behind her back. She would hate Simon. It was certain she would hate someone. He had yet to deal with hatred, especially emitted by someone he cared for.

"Ryder?" a whisper awoke him from his torment and Ryder inhaled and exhaled slowly.

"Mhmm," Ryder answered still not focusing on the person who stood before him. His thoughts were a whirlwind in his mind, causing havoc, creating several hypothetical situations he couldn't find solutions to. It was hopeless. He was hopeless. He could lose everything.

"Ry, is something wrong?" the worried infected whisper, pulled Ryder completely out of his thoughts. His eyes registered the being before him, her colored eyes watched him curiously. She bit her bottom lip nervously and he couldn't help but find her beautiful. Watching her was enough to calm his mind.

"No- Not at all, Mila," he couldn't look at her straight in the eyes, not with the things he knew, not without telling her the truth. He took a couple of steps towards her and pulled her into his chest. He needed that reassurance that she was fine. That she would be fine, that he could hold her between his arms and keep her there.

"Mmm. Ryder, are you sure?" Camila sought comfort in Ryder's arms, nestling in them. Ryder had left earlier in the day had just returned. Though she had spent the day with others, it wasn't the same as when she was with Ryder. She was familiar with Ryder. Ryder's arms were her home. It was the only thing stable in her life at the moment. 

"Yes." Ryder kept her close to his chest. Ryder wasn't sure of what would happen in the future. All he had was that moment and if it was his last good moment, he was going to let himself relish in it for a moment more. Ryder had decided. He would tell her the truth once he was sure he knew everything. If she became angry with him, at least he had this last moment together to hold. 

"Well, I'm glad you're back." Camila looked up and kissed Ryder's cheek, resting her head back on his chest, arms around his torso. Ryder chuckled. 

"Really? I thought you didn't miss me at all. I was waiting for my secretary to tell me I had several messages. But I didn't have any. So I assume..." Ryder drawled away, teasing his Mila. He let her go reluctantly as he crossed his arms against his chest. 

"I did miss you, you moron. I was really busy. I worked with the boys, the witch had us work on the duets." Camila rolled her eyes. At the sound of witch, Ryder tried not to wince. 

"Ouch. That hurt, Camila. I'm your boyfriend, it would be nice to be referred as such," Ryder played his usual cards. It was better to be not to be conscpicuous that he wasn't alright. Camila hearing the b word twiddled with her fingers. She was not accustomed to the label. Ryder took the moment to pull her back into his arms, his arms wrapping around her waist, in a way so that he could see her well enough.

"That cat's got your tongue, love," Ryder watched as Camila stood his arms quiet, watching him. 

Love.

That very word was too familiar to Camila. She couldn't fathom why and concluded it must have been something Ryder called her several times before. 

"No-o. I just- I-" Camila was speechless. She gazed into Ryder's eyes, which he purposely freed so that the irises could shift colors all on its own. That part in her begged her to do the same, that she was allowed to be free with him. So she let her irises free. Ryder caught it and leaned forward so that they had their foreheads pressed against each other. 

"No worries, I forgive you anyways," Ryder let his lips skim her forehead before he pressed his lips on her forehead. 

"I'm going back to our room, I'm really tired. Are you coming?" Ryder asked. Ryder wanted to lie back and think of eveything that had been revealed to him.

"I would but-" Camila thought about telling Ryder what was really going on, but she sensed that Ryder wasn't completely there. 

"I have to finish my work with the boys. I'll join you soon." Ryder nodded and left without another word. Camila watched him as he left. Something had changed. She was sure of it. That meeting with Simon had done something with Ryder. But she pushed the thought away and turned around heading the other direction. 

"Hey." She opened the door without knocking. 

"Hi. Is everything okay?" Liam sat up on the couch.

"Yeah. Ryder is back." Camila said as she took the empty seat beside Liam.

"Is he going to help us?" Liam awaited for an answer.

"I didn't ask him. He was tired and went off to sleep." Camila couldn't even believe it, as she said it to herself.

"Oh. Are you sure he can help?" Liam wanted to be sure that Camila would aid them.

"Yes. I'll let him know tomorrow." Camila sat back into her seat, the nape of her neck resting on the couch. Her eyes slowly fluttered shut. 

"Okay. I think..." Liam's voice faded away. Camila had closed her eyes completely and she fell. She fell down a white tunnel- the brightness burned her eyes and made her skin crawled. She screamed but not a sound pretruded from her mouth. She fell and she was alone.

Liam who had no idea what was really going on, gave Camila a shy smile, as he felt her head rest on his shoulder. The day had weared her out. It was only fair that he lend her a shoulder when she needed it. And he let her rest.

A/N: Birthday update. The Newest Cover was made by @codestyles and it's incredible. Comment. Thanks for everything.