28. Intimate

Camila

Things were going by and my head couldn't keep up to speed with it.  Memories that literally inflicted pain, eletric shocks that soared through my body- memories that lasted mere seconds played with my sanity. I didn't even know if I wanted to continue wandering deeper into the the realms hidden in my head.

Sophie. She made fear the most prominent emotion in my body. The terror of blinking and letting the gates of misery open hand in hand with a strand of a memory that only made me confused. Settling for the vague descriptions of my past life by Simon seemed fine in comparison.

"Mila?"

I wanted to leave. I didn't want to suffer the pain of remembering anything else. The magnitude of it was far more heart wretching than blood hunger.

"Babe, we don't have to go in."

I was relieved, ready to just turn around and get back into the car. But something kept me rooted to the steps in front of the door.

"Camila?" A could feel his worried stare from above. I tried to say something but my voice wasn't cooperating. Instead I shook my head slowly keeping my stare purposely away from him.

"No... talk to me Mila. Look at me," Ryder called out to me. I kept my stare on the door. Above the fear there was this underlying desire to walked past the door and meet head on with everything. However it all came at the cost of indulging in affliction. 

"We don't have to do anything," Ryder continued to speak. This time his hands cupped my face forcing me to look at him. His eyes, a storm of colors, a reflection of all that I felt stared right back at me.

"I have to- I need to find out," I murmured. He kept his stare on me. He loomed closer, our foreheads pressed against other. 

"I'm here by your side...alwa--okay..." Ryder whispered as we continued to stand there inches apart.

"Thank you," I uttered and he smiled kissing my temple as a caring gesture.

"No need. I'm here for the adventure." His rapid change of mood killed the meaningful moment. But it helped dissipate the anxiety that was building inside of me. He brushed his coffee colored hair back with his fingers.

"So do you plan on knocking or ringing the bell," Ryder asked. I looked towards the door in search of the bell and slowly went forth to ring the bell. The wait was filled with a silence that sent a chill down my spine. My emotions were running wild and I was ready to run. I turned mildly when I felt a squeeze. I deliberately glanced at the small use of force and found my hand intertwined with his.

"You have nothing to be scared...especially with me around," Ryder said adding his quirky smile. I elbowed him and he pretended to be hurt by it, managing to make me laugh. 

"What, you thought after making me travel half way across the world for you, we were just going to get here just so we could turn around and leave." Ryder watched me carefully, waiting for a reaction. I just kept my eyes on him.

"Schneider residence," a strange voice broke our small moment. We both turned to look at the voice. A women around her early thirties stood there awaiting for a form of introduction.

"Hello, I-" and my voice faded into oblivion. It was like I had forgotten everything as I stared at the women. Something in the back of my mind told me she seemed familiar.

"Hello, we're looking for Sophie, Simon wanted us to take care of her for him. I'm Ryder and this is-" I listened carefully as Ryder lied so smoothly.

"Oh my god! It's Camila," a shriek echoed in the hall. I could sense a little girl somewhere behind the lady and it took only seconds before a little chestnut eyed girl to spring it view. She rushed towards me hugging my waist. I stood there shocked without knowing what to do.