15. Duo

Camila

"If I wasn't a vampire, I think I would have feared for my life," I stated randomly, seeing as to the unfamiliar feeling being on his turf. The ride to his home had been filled with sharp edges and close calls with the red light. I was sure that the cops would stop us. Not one ever came in 15 feet radius from us. So here I was pacing around his living area, peering over his furniture and staring at his things. The very first impression of his apartment, could seriously fool you. His apartment was normal, with regular furniture- a couch, center table, lamps and all of the nice home stuff. But it wasn't until he took out a touch control when the real commodities of his home came to view. A flat screen appeared behind what was a wall. The very same control, managed the lights, the blinds and so many other things but I refused to learn. It wasn't like I lived there or planned to.

"I think being a vampire, should give you a better understanding of living life to the fullest-" he spoke and my ear caught his words under the sound of running water. His words were followed by a snort.

"What's so funny?" I ask, as I poked at the black glassy rectangular object that was suppose to be the control. No buttons- visible ones at least.

"Nothing just- nothing you'll understand. You're still trying to get over that amnesia of yours." My ears perked up as it caught his words underneath the noise. I felt my lip quiver slightly, only that I would notice- his bluntness, had caught me of guard. It was quite embarrassing to have this amnesia of mine to hold me back of ever being a full vampire.

"Have you ever tried to like, jog your memory? Or have you recalled anything yet?" He asked. I heard the sound of the running water come to an end, diminishing into single droplets falling on to the bottom of the tub. I had been so easily entertained listening to the rhythmic pattern the water droplets fell, I had lost focus of Ryder's whereabouts.

"You know things like that, are good signs," he added and was standing before me in khaki cargo shorts, no shirt and blue towel draped over his shoulders. His once combed up hair was flat on his head dripping water. I stood there looking at him and it wasn't until my eyes landed on his facial features that I noticed the smirk on his face.

"I- I- uh, no I can't seem to remember anything. Simon tried to take me to a friend of mine. It was a failure," I said trying to hide the fact that I had been distracted by his current state- half exposed. I finally looked away from him. If my stammering in the beginning covered my lie, continuing to look at him would do quite the opposite.

"Hmm. At least, you know, Simon is trying to help you regain your memories," Ryder acknowledged, but it was like he had some doubts. I didn't push. Pushing would turn out in me possibly revealing I had in fact remembered something. However that something could've been anything, maybe my head messing my thoughts around. I was just giving myself a headache trying to recall it. Ryder tossed his towel aside, flicking his hair to the side, water sprayed onto my face.

"What are you a dog?" I said teasingly, wiping the water off. He rolled his eyes and walked off down a hall that had not been there minutes before. I watched him as he walked off, coming my head to the side.

"No just undead," he flashed back into the living room the wall returning back to its spot. This time he stood before me with a aquamarine polo- on and loafers. His brown hair combed into a quif. A strong scent came to my nose, but it didn't irritate it was quite the opposite- the smell of after shave and irish springs. If he caught me taking in his odor, he didn't say anything. He stood there with his arm out.

"Um?"

"C'mon, take it darlin' I'm not going to bite," he laughed at his own joke and I just rolled my eyes.