42. Conscience

Camila

"Mmm," I groaned as my eyes adjusted to the bright light that insisted on penetrating into my eyes.

"Where- where am I," I murmured as I propped myself up on my elbows. Blinking various times, I examined my surrounding, not a thing familiar to my eyes. Panic began to rise. I had no recognition as to how I got to this place or anything before this.

"No need to be scared," a voice echoed through the endless white. I got up quickly, giving the room a once over. No one in sight.

"Who are you? Where am I?" I spit the questions out to the air. Whoever the voice belonged to had yet to materialize.

"I think you know where we are," the voice sounded not far behind me and I swiveled around to once more stair to nothingness.

"Though I love how serene the endless white is, I'd prefer a nice natural scene, no?" The voice once more resounded somewhere behind me. I turned and found a big orchard above a hill, a picnic set up at the pinnacle.

"If you're hungry you are allowed to join me," the voice echoed and I didn't give it a second thought before I dashed towards the orchard. There seated was a girl, around my age, all dressed in white, her eyes the brightest hazel shade.

"While you're staring you might as well eat," the girl pointed to the food that appeared in seconds from thin air. I sat down deliberately, still uncomfortable not knowing where I stood.

"Take some. I assure you I have no need to hurt you," she pushed the plate of food forward.  I grabbed a sandwich, nimbled on the crust as I continued to watch her.  She didn't feel like a threat.  She didn't seem to show signs of confusion.

"Who are you," I mumbled as I finally got myself to take a bigger bite of the sandwich.  Her eyes became brighter at the question. She put her own sandwich down and chuckled.

"I'm you... or at least I think I am," her brows creased as she said the last part. I didn't know what to repond. The girl was me. As far as I knew I wasn't dead. Or was I?

"You're not dead," she answered and smiled, "I can hear what you're thinking. " I sighed.

"Oh. Are you my conscience?" I asked. She took a swing of pop wiping her mouth with the back of her hand.

"I suppose so." She reponded nonchalantly diving back into her food.

"Okay." We both sat under the tree, eating and thinking. 

"I've been roaming these parts for some time, it gets pretty lonely here. Well until now that is." She lied back onto the grass staring up at the blue sky that painted itself around us.

"Oh." I sat there fiddling with the fruit on my plate.

"It's alright I guess. I can make my surroundings into anything. My favorite this orchard." She breathed in and out.

"Than... would it mean it's my favorite too?" The girl thought about it for a moment. She propped herself with one elbow, her piercing hazel eyes staring back at me.

"I suppose. Sometimes I can see these fragments of people and I try to envision them but I can never get them to fully materialize," she explained. I nodded and she returned to lying back on the grass.

"That sums up my life," I uttered setting my things aside so I rest back on the grass as well.

"Huh?" She turned and I felt her looking at me.

"I can't remember anything before my attempt to kill myself," I revealed. I watched as the blue sky dimmed and stars assembled.

"What happened?" She asked. Now it was my turn to look at her. She kept her eyes close, her breaths becoming more even.

"My mate died and I couldn't handle it. Thankfully, Uncle Si got there just in time. He saved me." As I returned my gaze on the stars, I watched as they shifted. The stars outlining Simon.

"That's him." She opened her eyes to examine the outline. She cocked her head to one aide and then the other.

"If it wasn't for him, I would have finally died." Her eyes snapped towards me.

"You're- we're a vampire." She whispered.

"Yeah I am. I doubt my conscience can be one. Or at least I don't believe so." She shook her head.

"No. As far as I know I can only manipulate memories and this place." I didn't speak. I watched the sky as she continued to play with the stars, making a show of her own.

"Do you remember your mate's name or anything about him?" She asked. I blinked a few times realizing the question she had just asked. As I thought of the answer she continued.

"I keep seeing these eyes. They're always a different shade..." the girl played with the stars to show me the eyes. My eyes vigilent on the image.

"They're all project this endless sadness..." she sat up, her chin resting on her knees, "and no matter how much I try I can form their faces."

"Do you think it might be a memory of your mate?" She asked.

"Consc... I don't know. Only you would know," I murmured.  She gives me a weak smile at the nick name I gave her.

"I think your amnesia runs deep, a lot of things get fuzzy even for me," she admitts.

"Oh." We dwelled in the silence.

"Love, wake up..." The girl watched as I tried to keep my eyes open. One by one the stars began to die out.

"Love, please wake up." Hands, one on each shoulder.

"Uh..."

"Open your eyes." Someone's cheek was pressed against my own.

"Come back," he whispered. My eyes fluttered open.

"Louis?"

****

Happy New Year guys. Hope ya like the update. Camila slipped deep into her mind and meets Kenzie who's been endlessly roaming around her actually conscience. She is remebering more than she thinks she is. Feel free to comment.