7. Old Friends

Simon

"Ah, so I'm finally honored with your presence," a voice echoed midst the shielding darkness. I stood perfectly straight in my spot not flinching or showing any sort of reaction due to the voice. 

"I had things to handle and did not have time to come and meet with you—"

"Until now." The voice mocked my rationale but I did not let the voice penetrate my state of mind. It was a habit of the voice to try to irritate one before it could even speak. 

"Yes until now. I have had to personally take care of the boys. They have not been in such," I tried to find the best words to describe the boys and not make myself a fool but with the voice it was useless. The voice cackled somewhere between all the overshadowing darkness— darkness entwined with magic that made my abilities all disipate like vapor. 

"Ah, please go on, it is far more amusing to have someone describe the event in their perspective because I have for so long seen that the storyteller seems to leave somethings or add," the voice challenge me temptively. It wanted to enjoy itself while I was here giving it company. 

"They have not— since the death of the girl, been themselves," I kept my story short as I tend to do with many things. 

"Yes, I have kept an ear out and heard of their unusual behavior. Especially that boy of yours, his misdemeanor my get the best of him. It is quite interesting actually that you have not exploded on him like you tend to, Simon. Where have you acquired such patience? Because I know it has not been requested from me," I could sense that smile that always seem to loom with mischief. It sought some form of entertainment from me. 

"Matias, why don't you just show yourself, I am no danger to you," I stated and then I heard a noise that resembled the noise of a small balloon bursting and the abysmal scene disappeared. In it's stead was an ancient Elizabethan Era styled living room. It was all like it always was. Portraits adorning the walls intricately of the infamous Matias throughout the centuries. 

"Awed? I would say my favorite would be messing with the minds of the thousands of sailors, when they sought the route to India. Oh how great was to hear them say they found it and they were all the way across the world with their so call Indians," a brunnette with patches of red in his hair laid sprawled on one of the couches laughing at his won ingenuity. He was assumed the appearance of nothing but a fifteen year old. But appearances did not reflect reality. This boy was anything else but fifteen years old. He was beyond the years any vampire so far has met. 

"I did not come to hear your stories, Matias. I came here-"

"Yes, yes, way to ruin the fun, Simon. You buckweed. You seriously need to loosen up, you might pop a vessel," Matias sat up from his sprawled position, a smile on his face that matched the flicker of mischief in his eyes he always carried. One that always seem to make me tense because with him no one knew what to expect.

"I gathered the things you need," Matias walked towards a closet in which he opened the door and stepped into the small compartment. There was shuffling, dragging, crashing and different noises echoing from the closet but I refused to move from my ground. Matias was not luring me into his little pranks like he did with everyone. 

"The viles of blood you requested were not so easy to get my hands on since, you know I could not just go over into that grimy place and deduce the quantity you wanted from those things. Especially since that place creeps me out," Matias head popped out momentarily with a scrunched up face to show his disgust and disappeared once more. 

"I would think nothing would be hard for you to get a hold of Matias," I quipped. 

"Don't go changing my words, Simon, old pal. I said it was not easy. It does not imply it was hard. I have my ways to get things," Matias stepped out of the wardrobe carrying a black velvet bag over his shoulder. His brown leather boots clicked on the marble floor. His green eyes watched over my shoulder, a gesture I knew personally. He was keeping his "ears out" for things. 

"Here you are, fella. You can have your precious ingredients," the bag hovered over my extended hand. He held it out temptingly, waiting for me to grasp the bag from underneath, his smile turned into a frown when he saw I was not complying to his childish desires. 

"On one condition," Matias pulled the bag away as it was expected. 

"Which will be?" I prompted. Matias appeared seated on his comforting black plumped chaise lounge. He sat there thinking.

"Matias, I do not have time for your childish games. If you have your condition, spit it out, no need for the suspense," I ordered. 

"Yeah, yeah, I know. I was really thinking this time. Here, my condition is I want to know about the girl." He threw the bag in the air as it weigh nothing and sat there waiting for me to meet my end of the bargain. I felt my jaw clenched. I had mentioned the girl briefly and had told him to never ask of it again. 

"The girl is none of your concern." I muttered. 

"Oh but she is, Simon. Those ingredients you asked from me," he pointed to the bag, "resemble the ones I gave you not so long ago. I remember you said it was for a girl. Now if I were you I would speak. I know you know I have my ways of acquiring things that are not meant to be known." 

"The girl is dead. Today was her funeral as a matter of fact." I responded blatantly.

"Errrr. Wrong answer, old pal. I may act like a child but it was really naive of you to percieve that my intelligence is far from that range. You should out of anyone know better than to lie to me, Simon." I kept my face free from any sort of emotion. 

"Why ask then, Matias? If you know what happened then why even ask?" I retorted. 

"I already told you. It is far more amusing to hear the tale other people make. Now sit and tell me what I want to know. Or there is no deal," Matias waved his hand and with the gesture the bag vaporized and was set on his lap. I had no other option but take a seat across from him.

"Explain to me, how does she get a funeral and she's still roaming this very Earth, very much alive must I say?" Matias ranned his hand through his invisible beard. 

"She had to die to complete her task." I explained.

"But we both know that is a lie." Matias had a raised eyebrow at me. His eyes no longer the neutral green color he had that I knew. His eyes were a ghastly white color, and I knew he obtain much of the knowledge I hope no one would know but myself.