8. Technicalities

Simon

"She is dead," I responded as Matias stared straight at me with ghostly pale eyes.

"Of course, when you say it like that no one could tell you are lying. These are all mere technicalities you have made— a simple white lie. A lie nonetheless which you cannot use on me." Matias smiled all knowingly, his eyes swirling indistinctively between jade shades and milk white.

"What was the girl's name? Kylie? Makayla?" Matias pondered and teasingly blurted out names waiting for me to continue with his little game and just hand over her name.

"Ah, Mackenzie. Sweet Mackenzie, I liked her. She was the most rare of her species," Matias finally came out of his magically business, his eyes finally keeping his neutral green shade. The last of his sentence taking my attention- sparking my curiousity.

"Species?" I asked. Matias looked away from me, smirk evident. He had teased my thoughts and conscience. He was not going to give up information that easily.

"Yes, species. But that is not the topic of discussion right now. Your end of the deal first and if I feel— I don't know, lets say generous, I might just gift you with some information." Matias slowly but apparent, shifted into vessel more closer to my age.

"Mackenzie is dead." I repeated coldly. Matias, did no seem amused and his current aged state did alleviate the prevailing temper he would soon reach. Despite the age change Matias was himself.

"I am all knowing, Simon. So I ask from you not to test my patience. Either tell me what I want to know or leave— empty handed." Matias threatened. I sighed. I needed the ingredients he held by his side in the black velvet bag.

"What do you want to know?" I mustered and once more a smile broke out. He was satisfied to see that his threats had in fact an effect on me.

"Why is she not dead like she is suppose to be?" Matias questioned.

"She is dead, Mackenzie is gone." I answered and before I knew it, I was flung across the room, held by my throat in the air. There was a piercing feeling deep in my chest.

"We might have once been close, like brothers. But don't forget I was never patient." Matias sat ever so calmly on his seat, closed eyed with legs crossed.

"Mackenzie is gone. She is no longer, Matias." I tried to say with the pain still at foot.

"Yes I see I won't be getting anywhere with that question no matter how I phrase it. How about you tell me why give her two options. She obviously had more than that. You could have brought her to me." Matias asked, his eyes still closed but his brows were furrowed.

"I could only offer her two. If I would have brought her with you, she would have had to pay a higher price." I choked.

"How rude of me, let me seat you," Matias with a wave of his hand, let me drop on the closest chair.

"Now, you gave her the option of letting poor Niall die or save him. I say it wasn't even a decision. She was going to do the morally right thing and save him. You might as well have taken her by force and save him. She was human." Matias mumbled as he continued what I assumed to be meditating.

"She had a choice. She choose to save him. Then she had to deal with the consequences of her actions." I muttered.

"Oh yes, ones you kindly made for her. I find it quite ironic that your subjects think of you as some sort of savior. A savior who thinks about only his desires. But what does it matter what I think, continue on." Matias words began to infuriate me. He knew exactly how to push my buttons.

"She went and healed Niall. So he could live," I said.

"Yes, he lived for her to "die". Yeah, yeah. So she heals the boy, which in reality transfers all the damage to herself. Which you clearly forgot to mention to her or she would have gone back—"

"I told her that if she went down one road there was no going back. There was only one way to save him and it had to happen." I explained.

"Oh right, that's why you took her after she healed the boy and staged her death for her, not once telling her about your plan. She laid unconscious on a bed, asking for, pleading for help and what did you do, try to make sure your boys continued doing their marketing. Sounds like we can crown you a saint, Simon." Sarcasm leaked from Matias and I knew he felt my cold angered stared on him.

"She hated what they were. Even though she save his life, she still hated our kind. The only way for her to live was to make her one of us. So I did." I justified my actions and I knew I stepped into the wrong topic of conversation because Matias eyes jolted open and looked straight at me.

"The only way you knew how to keep her alive was to turn her. But what I am really intrigued about is how come she has no memories of her old life. Why does she presume a life she never once was? Why is she trying to grief for someone she never met?" Matias asked. I opened my mouth to speak but he gestured for me to stay silent.

"You do know, you made it even more harder for yourself. They will trigger her memories." Matias warned.

"On the contrary, it will make my plans easier. I do not need to worry about them triggering her memories, I already taken care of everything. As long as things go as I expect, the boys will keep to trying to get over Mackenzie." I uttered.

"I assume the effects of the ingredients, are your tools in keeping things in line," with that Matias snapped his fingers and the bag sat on my lap. I stood and began to make my way out of his charming chamber.

"What do you plan to do, Simon Cowell?"

"That, my friend, was not part of the deal," I claimed, one foot out the door, "and you should know Matias. You know everything, you should know what I plan to do."

"I do. But just know, magic comes with a price." Matias warned.

"I know."

"I know you know, I just hope you can deal with magic's end of the bargain." Those words sent a shiver down my body. It pulled on my conscience. I was not doing anything wrong. I was keeping her safe. With the information Matias himself had given me, I knew of the events that would take place if she ever found out who she was— what she was. She would have viciously killed herself.

Matias may have known many things about the events before I had spoken and acquired more knowledge of it from me. But he was wrong with one thing. I had not turned the girl into her own nightmare. I had not been the one responsible for that. She had been turned by someone else and it was not on me to grant anyone with that information.