forty nine|birthday pancakes

"Happy birthday Mama!" Hope beamed, planting many small kisses all over Veronica's face.

The brunette laughed, kissing her daughter's forehead while holding her close. Although the words were a bit jumbled and didn't come out clear, she still understood what she meant.

Today was March 8, 2014. Veronica's twenty-first birthday.

When she was younger, she had plans of going to her first club with her friends and getting beyond wasted. Only now, those plans have changed to staying at home all day in her pajamas while catching up on school work and playing with Hope.

"Thank you, sweetheart. Wanna help me make pancakes?"

Veronica grinned at the sight of Hope rapidly nodding her head, jumping up and down in excitement.

The girl was only two, but she was as lively as any other kid. Even though she accidentally spills the ingredients on the floor, Hope loves to help bake. Which is why on Saturday and Sunday mornings, Veronica makes them breakfast from scratch. Although it gets extremely messy sometimes, seeing the joy on Hope's face makes it all worth it.

Standing up straight, Veronica held onto her daughter's hand as she led them into the kitchen. Ignoring the sight of empty wine bottles in a bin next to the front door, the brunette began cooking.

A lot has happened in three months.

Since the night in December, Veronica's drinking had become intense. At first, she was convinced that she just needed the alcohol to relax, but it was slowly taking over her body. She became too dependent on it. Seeing as she couldn't get drunk as easily as a human, Veronica drank excessive amounts each night. Although the drinks were easy to get, it became a problem in early February.

Marcel knocked on the apartment door, listening to the footsteps approaching on the other side.

Veronica had been ignoring everyone for the past month, meaning she was clueless about everything that was happening. The only time she interacted with the Mikaelson's was when she dropped Hope off for her assigned days with Klaus. Any time after that, there was no contact.

As soon as Veronica opened the door, Marcel immediately noticed something was wrong. By taking in her bloodshot eyes, staggering stance, and messy hair, he knew she wasn't herself.

"Jesus, Roni. What's up with you?" The vampire questioned, walking inside and holding her to his side as he led them to the couch.

"I'm drinking, Marcellus. And crying. But mostly drinking."

"Still calling people by their full name when you're drunk?"

"You know it." Veronica slurred, slouching against the couch.

When she went to make a move for the bottle, Marcel swatted her hand away.

"Hey!"

"I came here to catch you up on everything, but you'll probably forget in the morning."

Veronica snorted in bitter amusement, shaking her head.

Marcel tilted his head, "What? You think it's funny that the city is going to shit?"

"No. I think it's funny that people only come to me when they need something. I have shit going on too, you know?"

"Of course you do, but-"

"Everyone just needs me to help them kill some random person that's been causing them problems. Everyone around me is so focused on themselves that no one has noticed that something is wrong with me. I've been so messed up for so long but nobody cares."