fifty three|a painted house

Veronica's eyes fluttered open. Yawning softly, she turned on her back. Taking notice of the unfamiliar ceiling, she sighed before turning her head to the side.

Her eyes zoned in on the sleeping figure next to her. With his back facing her, she didn't have to peak over his shoulder to see who it was. In fact, Veronica remembered perfectly.

Last night, she completed phase two of the plan.

First being to gain his trust, which apparently she already had.

The second? Sleep with the devil himself.

It had been five days since the Elders, Amaia in particular, explained their plan to kill Klaus Mikaelson.

The First of April was fast approaching, and Veronica felt like she was in limbo. Ever since she returned from meeting the Elders, she felt different. Like she was floating above her body and watching everything unravel. Like she had no control over her actions.

It was hard to believe that the same man who she had just spent the night with was still planning to kill her.

Amaia had gone into her mind once Klaus had fallen asleep after their... rendezvous, and showed that he hadn't changed his mind.

Did he just sleep with her as some type of messed up last hurrah? No matter how many times Veronica played the events over in her head, she was still conflicted.

Klaus had never shown a sign of wanting to kill her before. Besides the Dahlia incident, and that wasn't directly aimed towards her, it seemed like he actually somewhat liked her. Like they could be friendly coparents.

She understood what the Elders had planned and why they were telling her to do all this, but was it really worth it? She would be just as bad as Klaus, making Hope grow up without a father.

"What's got you thinking so hard?" A deep voice asked, bringing Veronica out of her thoughts.

She sent Klaus a small smile, "Nothing important."

He hummed, turning on his back and throwing an arm around Veronica's waist, tugging her in so her head laid on his bare chest.

"Despite how out of the blue last night was, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it."

Veronica snorted, shaking her head.

"Any reason why you decided to come over last night and play temptress? If I recall, you've never shown any interest in me before these past couple of days."

"Call it an itch I needed to scratch. You're part dog, you should know what I mean."

Klaus laughed, a deep rumble that sent butterflies flying all over her body. She tried to mentally shoo them away, but they seemed persistent on staying.

She didn't have time to deal with her hormones. If she couldn't kill him before he killed her, she would lose Hope forever and Veronica would not let that happen.

Two more days until April First. She was running out of time.

"Phase three," A voice echoed in her mind.

Of course that taunting voice was Leia. Veronica knew Leia knew how much she didn't want to do this.

It was hard to even think, knowing those three could tap into her mind at any time. Veronica wouldn't allow herself to show any vulnerability, keeping her mind calm and collected at all times.

"What are you doing later, love?"

Probably killing you. "I'm not sure."

"If you're not busy, come by tonight. I have a surprise for you."