TWENTY|bonding over murder

The Originals

S2:E1

☄. *. ⋆

Veronica hummed, her pink highlighter staining the white paper as she reviewed her notes.

After coming back from Mystic Falls months ago, she had focused on getting her life together.

She enrolled back into university, found a new apartment to reside in, picked up some more hobbies, and even got some new tattoos. It had taken her months to get to a place where she was excited for the new day, but she finally made it.

There was no doubt she missed her daughter terribly. Veronica and Rebekah still chatted daily and she received plenty of photos, but it wasn't the same. Her heart would never fully heal until she could hold her baby in her arms again.

She was optimistic, though. The first renovation of her new apartment was completing a room for Hope. A new bed, new toys, and new furniture were waiting patiently for her daughters' arrival–whether it be tomorrow or months from now.

The only thing Veronica was hesitant about in her move was the location. It was much closer to her school, but a lot farther from the Mikaelson compound. Elijah encouraged her, and even helped, in moving. He knew she needed a new, clean chapter.

Klaus, on the other hand, was not as encouraging. He thought she was cowardly moving away and leaving the supernatural world behind. As she had always done, Veronica ignored his complaints and did it anyway.

After re-enrolling, Veronica reconnected with her former college friends and even made some new ones.

She had begun talking to her sister and friends from Mystic Falls more frequently since her visit. Elena had even stayed in New Orleans for a couple of days; out of Klaus' sight, however.

Veronica was content with how her life was going.

At least, she was.

A knock on her front door almost had a groan spill out of her.

Popping the cap on the highlighter, Veronica slid off of the couch and sauntered over to the door. Opening it, she forced a smile onto her face

"Elijah, to what do I owe this surprise?"

"Veronica," He nodded his head, "I must ask that you return to the compound with me. Niklaus and I have something we'd like to discuss with you."

Looking back at the books scattered on her table, she sent him a look.

"Are you sure this can't wait? I have a really big test I need to study for."

Elijah narrowed his eyes. Looking around the apartment, he studied the books littered about, a pizza box flipped open on the kitchen table, and a concerning amount of soda on the smaller table beside the couch.

Meeting her dark brown eyes, he sent her a sympathetic look.

"I know you're busy, but this is urgent."

"Does it have to do with vampires or werewolves?"

Elijah's silence was enough confirmation for her.

Veronica rubbed her eyes with her hands. As she did so, Elijah studied the recent addition inked on her left pointer finger.

A pair of angel wings were outlined in black–Elijah assumed it represented all of the loved ones Veronica had lost in her lifetime.

"I told you I'm done, Elijah. I don't care that I'm a hybrid, I'm done with all of that shit."