ELEVEN|house fires

The Originals

S1:E13

☄. *. ⋆

Veronica groaned, her hands cradling her head.

She had been forced onto bed rest for the past couple of days because she had been feeling ill. At first, she thought it was because of the pregnancy, but after a while, it seemed banshee related. The voices in her head seemed to never go away.

The sound of her phone ringing caused her to groan even louder. Picking it up, she clicked the accept button and placed it on speaker.

"Veronica?"

"Hey, Alex."

There was a pause, "Are you okay? You sound like you're in a lot of pain."

"I'm fine, just a horrible headache," She said through gritted teeth.

"Banshee related?"

The groan was all the confirmation Alex needed.

He let out a small laugh, "That's actually why I was calling. I have a few people I want you to meet."

"I'm not sure–"

"A party?"

Veronica turned her head to where Rebekah stood in the doorway, a grin on her face.

"Rebekah–"

"I know just the place. Veronica can text you the address."

"Great. I'll see you tonight!"

Hanging up the phone, Veronica glared.

"You need to get out. You've been stuck in this bed for days."

"Don't act like this is about me, you just want an excuse to party."

Rebekah shrugged innocently, "Maybe, maybe not. Let me find you the perfect outfit."

☄. *. ⋆

"When you said some friends, I wasn't expecting a group of thirty people." Veronica said, eyeing the males and females wandering around the house.

About ten minutes ago, Alex showed up to the house with a large group of people behind him. At first, Rebekah and Veronica were confused as to why there were so many people. After a minute, however, Rebekah invited them all in and brought out the liquor and music. Apparently the blonde knows how to throw a party in less than five minutes.

"Yeah, about that," Alex sheepishly laughed, then gestured for Veronica to follow him into the living room.

Veronica sat next to Alex on the piano chair as he explained.

"Kind of like the werewolves, banshees have packs. There aren't usually many of us, so we like to stick together. I know you're with the originals and you have them for protection and all, but I thought it would be nice if you met some of them and got to know everyone better. Who knows, maybe you'll end up joining us."

Veronica looked at Alex, a smile starting to form on her face.

The girl had never felt a part of something before. Sure, she was on the cheer team and had friends in high school, but she never felt truly a part of it. With the Mikaelson's, they've been accepting, but they had their drama as well. She thought it would be nice to be a part of something that was for people like her.

"This is probably a lot to take in but-"

"Yes."

"What?"

Veronica grinned, "I'd like to join the banshee pack or whatever the hell it's called."

A grin overtook Alex's face too. As they stared at each other, the rest of the world seemed to fade away. They failed to realize the silence inside of the house–due to the banshees moving the party outside. They failed to realize Rebekah had been taken.

One thing they did notice, though, was the loud gust of wind.

The doors in the living room slammed shut, causing Veronica to jump. As they both stood and tried to open the doors, a flame began to take over the walls.

"We have to get out of here!"

Grabbing the piano stool, Alex threw it against the window. Pieces of glass shattered and littered the carpet, but more flames traveled into the house. The hot, orange blaze drowned the carpets and drapes. With every breath Veronica took, it began becoming harder to breathe. Noticing this, Alex grabbed the cloth that laid on top of the piano and held it up to Veronica's face.

"Here, breathe into this."

Taking in deep breaths, Veronica could still feel the smoke in her chest. Trying to remain calm and battle out the overwhelming anxiety she was dealing with, she sat with her back resting against the leg of the piano. From her point of view, there was no way out of this. She was going to die and never got to say goodbye to anyone.

Before any more thoughts could plague her mind, someone grabbed onto her and sped her outside. Veronica dropped the cloth from her mouth, desperately breathing in the fresh air. A hand rubbed her back soothingly.

Looking up, she felt her heartbeat regulate as she took in Elijah's face.

"Where's Rebekah?"

"I don't know, I think she was outside with the others," Veronica looked around, "Alex is still in there."

Without saying anything else, Elijah sped back inside the burning house. Seconds later, Alex appeared next to Veronica.

☄. *. ⋆

It had been an hour after the fire.

Elijah did a quick examination of Veronica before determining she and the baby would be okay. Before she could pester him with questions, he rushed off.

After offering to drive her home, Alex pulled up to the front of the compound.

"Thanks for driving me. I'm sorry about tonight."

"It's no problem, really. I'm sure your kid will enjoy the bedtime stories of how her mom almost died in a fire."

Veronica snorted, "I think I'll save this story until she's older."

Sending a small smile, she slipped out of the car and entered the compound. As she walked through the doors, the sound of crashing could be heard.

"Elijah!" Veronica yelled, watching as he threw a vampire against the wall.

"Klaus threw one of his classic temper tantrums, snapped my neck, and tried to take on a coven of witches by himself. He got dropped. I don't know where he is or how to find him." Marcel explained.

"They also have Rebekah. Every one of you will help me to find them. I'm gonna kill them all." Elijah threatened before leaving the courtyard.

Veronica stood there, her lips parted as she processed the information. Not only did the witches take Rebekah, but they also took Klaus.

She knew there wasn't much she could offer to the table when it came to bringing them back, but Veronica would do everything she could.