TWELVE|the missing originals

The Originals

S1:E14

☄. *. ⋆

"Veronica!" Elijah's voice echoed, filling the compound.

Veronica quickly made her way into the study. Once she arrived, she spotted the original standing there, shirtless.

"What is happening?" She asked, scrunching her nose. "Why are you covered in tattoos? Is this what you do in your free time?"

"I need you to make a list of all these names."

Veronica nodded, grabbing a notebook and pen from the desk. Walking over to Elijah, she began jotting the names down.

"Sabine?"

"I believe they represent the names of the women Celeste inhabited for the past two centuries."

"It's called a Devinette," Marcel said, walking into the study, "It's old school. Kind of a riddle. Witches use them to teach their kids. Solve it, and it disappears."

"Why? What's the point?"

Elijah hesitated, "Celeste forced me to make a choice between yourself and my siblings, and now she means to mock that choice, taunting me with a childish game. The longer the game, the more they suffer. To find Klaus and Rebekah, we need to solve this riddle. The solution lies somewhere in these names."

Veronica furrowed her eyebrows, "You picked me over Klaus and Rebekah?"

Elijah gave her a look, "Of course I did, Veronica. They both would have done the same. If anything happened to you or the baby..."

Marcel inched closer to Elijah, "The name next to Sabine... Annie La Fleur, she's the witch that was shunned from her coven just over a year ago. Never knew why, but I can find out."

Elijah nodded, buttoning his shirt back up as Marcel left the study.

Placing the notebook and pen on top of the desk, Veronica fiddled with the rings on her fingers.

"We'll get them back, right?"

He nodded, "Of course we will. You don't have to worry about Rebekah, she's strong."

Veronica opened her mouth, then closed it again. Giving him a small smile, she turned and walked out of the room.

Elijah smiled to himself, watching as she left. She cared for Klaus too.

☄. *. ⋆

After Marcel and Elijah provided more information, Veronica was assigned to research duty.

She sat crisscrossed on her bed, scrolling through baby items online. Perhaps it wasn't the best time, but she found all of the information she could and got bored of waiting for the two to return.

Scrolling through the little clothes that melted Veronica's heart, her eyes were drawn to one in particular.

It was a one piece furry, wolf jumpsuit that had little ears on the hood. Seeing the irony in her daughter most likely being a wolf as well, Veronica added it to her shopping cart.

Taking a look at the little icon, she cringed at the number of items. At least Klaus is paying for it, she thought, and continued scrolling.

Hearing the sound of footsteps, Veronica looked up at the two figures walking in.

"Hey, what do you think about this dress?"

A half smile made its way onto Marcel's face before he shook his head, "Find anything about Clara?"

Veronica sighed, clicking onto the other tab at the top of the screen.

"Not much. She was a nurse at the Fleur-de-Lis Sanitarium." Veronica said, pointing to the girl in the picture, "Recognize her?"

"No, I don't. Marcel?"

Elijah and Veronica gave him a look as he stared at the picture, refusing to speak.

"Marcel? Do I need to remind you that Niklaus and Rebekah are somewhere suffering horribly? If you know something, talk."

He swallowed, "The Sanitarium. That's where you'll find them."

"Are you sure? How do you know?" Veronica asked.

"I just know."

"How do you know?" Veronica repeated.

"If I'm right, you need to know exactly what we're walking into. We did something, Rebekah and I... I think the witches are trying to use it against her. It was, uh... something that you're not gonna like."

After Marcel explained what he and Rebekah did, Elijah and Veronica were shocked.

"For the better part of a century, I have wondered how Father found us, what foolish mistake that we had made to destroy our time in the one place that we could finally call home. Did you know, I even blamed myself for a time, Marcellus?"

"Elijah-"

"Niklaus treated you like a son."

"Rebekah. I loved her. I still love her. All we ever wanted was to be together, but as long as Klaus was around, that was never gonna happen. But hey, I guess you wouldn't know anything about that, huh?"

Elijah sighed, "When Klaus learns the truth, there will be no end to his rage. I will not let my sister suffer that wrath."

"Then we need to get to them before he learns the truth." Marcel said, storming out of the room.

"Elijah—"

"You are to stay here."

Before Veronica could object, Elijah sped out of the room. Rubbing her temples, she shut her laptop and pushed it to the side.

As much as Veronica cared for Klaus, she was terrified to see the state he would be in if he learned the truth.

Sure, he loved his sister, but his hatred for betrayal was always bigger.