TWENTY ONE|offer

The Originals

S2:E3

☄. *. ⋆

Veronica walked into the Mikaelson courtyard, eyeing the table filled with food.

"So, which restaurant's missing a compelled chef?" She joked, plucking a strawberry from one of the plates.

"It's certainly a card I've played in the past, but I had no hand in this."

Veronica pursed her lips, "Maybe Elijah is to thank."

"This wasn't my doing..." Elijah said, walking into the room.

Veronica turned to face the original who, as usual, was dressed in a suit. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Then where did this all come from?"

The silver lid on one of the platters began to rattle, causing Veronica to jump. The two brothers shared an uneasy look before Klaus reached forward, lifting the lid. Suddenly, three starlings flew out.

"What the hell was that?"

Klaus picked up a note, his jaw clenching as he read the words printed. "An invitation from our mother."

"But isn't your mother..."

Elijah took the note from Klaus' hands, scanning the message. Elijah shot Klaus a look as if they were speaking telepathically. Rolling her eyes when not getting an answer, Veronica snatched the paper and read it herself.

"Dinner. Your Home. 8 pm." Veronica mumbled to herself. "I'm confused, how do you know this has to do with Esther?"

"We discovered that our mother is currently taking host in another body. As a witch."

"And you're only now telling me?"

"Calm down, love, it's hard to keep communication when you live far."

Veronica rolled her eyes, "I live an extra ten minutes away and phones exist, Grandpa."

Klaus sent her a glare, opening his mouth to argue but was stopped by Elijah holding up his hand.

"Enough. We have bigger things to worry about."

☄. *. ⋆

It was nearly 8.

Veronica sat at the table, fiddling with her rings and waiting for Esther to arrive. While Klaus sat at the head of the table next to her, Elijah was in the kitchen, ordering the chefs and servers around.

"Klaus?"

"Yes, Veronica?"

"Why does your mother hate you so much? You've told me about Mikael, but I barely know anything about Esther."

When he didn't reply for a few seconds, Veronica felt panic start to settle in. Perhaps she should've kept her mouth shut, she thought.

"It was my brother Henrik's death that pushed her over the edge," Klaus said, meeting her eyes, "That was when she used her magic to turn us into immortals. I think that's when she loved us the most. But, it was her undoing. It triggered a sequence of events that led to the reveal of her long-held secret."

"You being a werewolf."

He nodded, "My birth father was the werewolf whose pack killed my little brother. Of course, when Mikael found out, he murdered my real father, and so, my mother lost her lover, too."