FOUR|blow out your candles

☄. *. ⋆

Veronica woke to the feeling of someone touching her head. Blinking awake, her eyes registered the eyes of her favorite blonde.

"Happy birthday, sleeping beauty."

A slow smile made its way onto Veronica's face. Sitting up, she looked over to the mirror on top of her bureau. Her smile widened when she took in the birthday tiara that rested on her head. When Veronica looked around her room, her smile widened - if that was even possible.

There were planets acting as streamers hanging from the ceiling, balloons littering the floor and furniture, and a pile of presents sitting at the edge of the bed. How Veronica slept through all of that, she had no clue.

"Rebekah..."

The vampire waved her hand in dismissal, "Do not thank me. It was nothing, really. I'm just excited to spend your first birthday together."

Picking up a large box with a small box taped to the top, Rebekah handed it over to Veronica with a grin.

"Open this one first, it's from me!"

Unwrapping the small box first, Veronica let out a small gasp when she opened the lid. A gold chain necklace laid inside, a circle pendant on the bottom that had stars engraved into it.

"I did some research on those nerdy websites you love and found what the stars looked like on the day we met. It was a big night for me, I met my best friend and sister that night."

Not sure if it was the hormones or Rebekah's words, but Veronica began tearing up. Laughing softly, Rebekah gave the girl a quick hug before hooking the necklace around her neck.

"No tears! Open the next one!"

Tearing the paper off, Veronica shot Rebekah an unamused look at the two alcohol bottles inside.

"Bex, I'm twenty, not twenty one."

"So? It's only a year. Who cares!"

"Are you forgetting I'm pregnant with your niece or nephew?"

"Definitely my niece. But it's for after you give birth. You know, when you have to deal with an overbearing Klaus."

"I heard that," Klaus raised an eyebrow, leaning against the doorway.

"Good," She shot back.

Rolling his eyes, Klaus tipped his head down to Veronica. "Happy birthday."

Without another word, he pushed off the side and continued down the hallway.

Rebekah mumbled something about 'Klaus being an ass' before shaking her head and pushing the gifts towards Veronica.

"I found these all outside your apartment. I went by to pick up some more things for you when I saw them. I'm assuming they're from your dreadful friends back home."

Veronica snorted, but found herself realizing it was hard to defend them. After all, they barely contacted her anymore, and none of them told her Jeremy died or that Elena went off the rails and turned her humanity off.

Rebekah sat on the side of the bed and watched as Veronica unwrapped the gifts, offering commentary to each one. When she got to Marcel's gift, Rebekah rolled her eyes.

"I still cannot believe you're friends with him."

"We've talked about this, Rebekah."

"I know, I know. He's nice to you, but wait until he finds out you're carrying my brother's child."