EIGHTEEN|facing the music

The Originals

☄. *. ⋆

Veronica sat on the floor of her bathroom, the bathtub offering a cooling sensation to her back that rested against it.

She figured that since she was no longer pregnant, it was time to dye her hair back to her original color. Instead of going to a salon, Veronica decided to do it herself at home.

Home.

After a long fight with both brothers, Veronica resided back in her apartment. Her argument was since she was no longer pregnant or had a child they needed to protect, she wanted to live by herself once again. It made no sense to live in the compound if she had nothing to offer.

In truth, she was going insane.

Everything in the compound reminded her of Hope. She had spent the first couple of weeks in the nursery, sitting in the chair desperately wishing her daughter would just appear in her arms and everything was simply a bad dream.

As of now, the only people that knew about Hope's status were Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah, and Marcel. The day after giving Hope to Rebekah, Klaus spread the word of their daughter passing.

But, even if Veronica wanted to talk to any of them, they were all so busy. Klaus wrapped himself up in revenge–to which Elijah joined him most of the time, Marcel was occupied with the vampires, and Rebekah was raising Hope.

After moving out, she started to feel a little bit better. Despite barely talking to anyone, everything started to feel a little bit lighter. Veronica occupied herself with baking, shopping for new items in her apartment, and even looking into returning to college. The more she distracted herself, the more normal she felt.

Well, as normal as drinking a blood bag every morning can be.

Despite being a hybrid now, Veronica wanted a break from the supernatural life–a permanent one.

She wanted to feel like a regular person, and she was doing everything she could do to accomplish that.

Hearing the timer on her phone go off, Veronica sat up and turned the lever, a stream of water pooling down from the nozzle. After washing and drying her hair, she looked at herself in the mirror.

Although it was only hair, Veronica felt different. Sure, it was the same color she's always had, but she felt like a different person. Older, perhaps even wiser.

Her heart still felt heavy everyday, and she wasn't sure how long it would last, but she knew the pain now would be worth it in the end.

Walking into her living room, Veronica slumped into the cushions and pulled her laptop onto her lap.

Feeling the overwhelming urge to leave the city, Veronica curiously browsed airline tickets.

As she scrolled, her eyes zoned in on one place in particular. Mystic Falls.

Perhaps it was finally time to face the music.