forty one|reunited

Veronica hummed, rocking Hope back and forth as she sat on the couch

It was currently June 25, her husband and the rest of the pack being cursed four months ago. Despite visiting Alex during every full moon in the bayou, it was no secret she missed seeing him everyday.

Although months had gone by and Veronica had gotten better mentally, her heart still ached for the child she lost. The brunette barely visited the compound, not wanting to run into Klaus. The only way she got Hope was when Elijah dropped her off at the apartment on the days she took care of her.

The knock on the door brought Veronica out of her daze. Slowly standing up with Hope asleep in her arms, the banshee made her way to the apartment door. As soon as she opened it, Veronica felt her blood run cold.

"Ah, so this is the daughter you've been keeping locked up like Rapunzel."

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"Language! There's a child present." Damon sarcastically spoke, walking past the stunned brunette.

Veronica watched as the vampire pushed a few of Hope's toys to the side before sitting on the couch. After making himself comfortable, Damon looked to the hybrid and flashed a smile. Biting the inside of her cheek to keep herself calm, Veronica closed the door before making her way over to sit beside him on the couch.

"Mind if I hold her?"

"Yes."

"You're acting like I've never held a baby before."

"Have you?" Veronica asked, raising one eyebrow in question and irritation.

In response, Damon shrugged before leaning back and resting against the pillows.

"I have some news to share. You might not want to be holding your daughter for this."

"Why should I trust you?"

"Veronica, seriously. Do you really think I'll harm your child?"

Swallowing her pride, the brunette hesitantly passed a sleeping Hope to Damon, who immediately straighten and held the child in his arms.

"Now, what is it?"

"Elena." The vampire sighed, staring down at Hope and not meeting Veronica's gaze. "We were at Jo and Alaric's wedding two days ago-"

"Wedding? Who's Jo?"

"You miss out on a lot of names when you suddenly ignore your family."

Rolling her eyes, Veronica allowed Damon to continue.

"This sociopath, Kai; who's Jo's brother, showed up at the wedding and went crazy. Killed Jo and put Elena into some kind of coma."

"Coma? What are you talking about, vampires can heal."