thirty nine|doubt

The Originals S2:E21trigger warning for this chapter (if you're sensitive to the topic of miscarriage, please do not read the end of this chapter)——————————————

The Originals
S2:E21
trigger warning for this chapter
(if you're sensitive to the topic of miscarriage, please do not read the end of this chapter)
——————————————

Veronica sighed, caressing her daughters head as she slept in her arms.

Despite having the support from Elijah, Marcel, and Rebekah, the brunette couldn't seem to get rid of the guilt she had for leaving with Hope.

Although they were a long way from New Orleans, Veronica kept in contact with Marcel. He informed her of everything that was going on in the French Quarter but never mentioned what happened to Klaus. While Veronica never asked, she could tell Marcel knew she was curious. However, he never spoke his name.

Along with the guilt, she was buried by deep sadness for the passing of someone she saw as a younger brother. Oliver's body remained in the Bayou, closely being guarded by two wolves and a banshee that Veronica asked to stay behind. She knew she had to ignore her feelings until everything was over, but it was hard to do so when the voices in her head constantly reminded her of everything she's lost.

The only comfort the hybrid got was knowing Oliver is joined with Juliette at peace. Of course, she couldn't be one hundred percent certain they're both at peace– seeing as she never got peace when she died, but she could only hope.

"Veronica," Alex said, poking his head in the entrance of the shed. "We should start going."

Nodding in response, the brunette stood from her spot on the floor. Careful not to wake Hope, she gathered the baby's bag as well as her own and headed outside.

The pack had made their way to the Mississippi River. Despite telling the group they could go alone from this point on, the wolves and banshees insisted on staying with Veronica and Alex until they arrived at their destination. Although she had wanted to feel thankful, Veronica couldn't get pass the feeling of something bad happening.

Noticing her worry, Jackson walked over to the brunette.

"Hey, let me take Hope while you talk with Alex."

With what Veronica hoped was somewhat of a smile, she carefully handed her daughter to Jackson then turned and headed over to where her husband was standing.

"What are you thinking?"

"Get across, head for the highway, steal a car, and just go." Alex replied with a small smile, which soon fell after taking in Veronica's expression. "You okay? I know this is a lot."

"It was a nice thought," The brunette sighed, ignoring his question. "Marrying you to make the pack strong, raising my daughter alongside the people who would protect her. I just never wanted anyone to get hurt."