fifty|talks and revelations

Come over. -Klaus

Veronica stared down at the note in her hand. Narrowing her eyes, she dropped the paper onto the table and turned on her heel. Why Klaus couldn't send a text like a normal person was beyond her.

Once Hope was dressed and her bag was packed, Veronica drove the two to the compound. Not bothering to knock, the brunette strolled in and immediately saw Klaus seated on the couch.

"Any particular reason why you summoned me?"

"Happy birthday, love."

"It was actually yesterday, but thanks."

Klaus shrugged, walking over to take Hope out of her arms. "Time is irrelevant after being alive for a thousand years. You'll understand what I mean in a few hundred years."

Rolling her eyes, Veroncia set the baby bag onto the ground before turning to make her leave. Not even two steps away, Klaus called to her.

"Where are you going? I told you to come over for a reason."

"Yeah, to drop Hope off, I presume? Well, she's here so there's no reason for me to stay."

"No, I," The hybrid sighed, "I wanted to talk."

"Talk?" Veronica echoed, raising an eyebrow. "Maybe I don't want to talk."

"I think you've been acting like this for too long. It's time for us to talk. I don't care if you want to or not, we're doing it."

"I'm not fighting with you while Hope's in the same room,"

"Freya is upstairs. She can babysit while we go."

"Go where?"

"You'll see," Klaus said, picking up the bag and walking away. Two minutes later, he returned by himself.

Taking a hold of Veronica's wrist, he sped the two through the French Quarter. While Veronica was used to vampire speed by now, everything was moving too fast for her to know where they were headed. However, in ten seconds, she was finally aware.

The brunette looked at the lake before meeting Klaus' eyes, "Did you take me here to drown me?"

"No," Klaus laughed, "We both know you'd snap my neck the moment I'd attempt something like that. I brought us here so we can talk. There's no one around for miles so if you decide to turn this into a screaming match, we don't have to worry about having an audience."

"How considerate,"

"I know."

Rolling her eyes for what felt like the tenth time that day, Veronica sighed before lowering herself to the ground. Picking at the grass beneath her, she did everything to try and ignore the Klaus' gaze.

"You can't ignore me forever, love."

"I'm not your love. Stop calling me that."

"Sorry love," Klaus smirked, sitting on the empty spot next to her. "We need to stop this. We've been going at this for a year now and I'm done."

"Maybe if you weren't a giant dick," Veronica shot him a glare, "Don't even make a joke, Niklaus. I'm not in the mood for this."

"I wasn't going to say anything," The hybrid covered his growing smile with his hand.

A minute of silence washed over them. It wouldn't do either of them good to avoid the topic that shattered any connection between them, but neither wanted to mention it first. But after another two minutes had passed, Veronica's heart began to grow heavy.