fifty four|our happy ending

Veronica woke with a gasp, brown eyes darting around the dark room.

The events that seemed like only seconds ago came flooding back, her last memory being her neck getting snapped. From Klaus.

Klaus.

Veronica looked around the room, immediately recognizing it as her old bedroom from when she stayed here. Everything seemed to be the same, even the old perfumes and makeups she left on the vanity were there.

She felt as though she had no time to take notice of every little detail. She had to find Klaus and apologize. It was a miracle she wasn't already dead; the original hybrid not taking threats lightly.

As she stood from the bed, the room felt like it was spinning. Bringing a hand to her temple, Veronica was too busy trying to get rid of the pain that she failed to hear the door open and close. Only when a voice cleared their throat did she look up.

"I see you've finally woken up."

"I see you didn't rip my heart out in my sleep."

"I debated on it," Klaus smirked, walking closer until he arrived at the edge of the bed and took a seat, "Hope is still with Marcel; I let him know what happened."

Veronica nodded, picking at the hangnail on her thumb. After a couple seconds of silence, she hesitantly took the seat next to Klaus on the bed.

"Did you-" Klaus took a breath, "Did you really think I was planning to kill you?"

"It looked so real," Veronica whispered, "They showed me this vision of you at the table with Elijah and Freya. You said I was taking Hope from you and you'd kill me on April first. As some type of ironic joke."

Klaus snorted, then covered it with a laugh.

"It's not funny, Klaus! With us being awkward with each other lately, how was I supposed to feel when I saw that?"

"I don't know, not believe what those witches said?"

"First off, they're not witches, they're the Banshee Elders."

"Were. Past tense; they're dead now."

"Fucking hell," Veronica groaned, her hands covering her face. "I'm going to be shunned from the banshees. And I never even had a proper induction in the first place!"

"At least Alexander isn't here to see all of this. Although I think he'd blame this on me more than you."

"Probably. He did hate you."

Klaus shook his head, "You know, if this were anyone else, I'd have ripped their hearts out by now."

"I wouldn't blame you if you did. I deserve it."

"You were manipulated. I should know, I've done the same to others before."

A pregnant pause fell over them before Veronica looked down at her hands and sighed, "I don't think I would have done it. I mean, I was prepared, but I don't think I could have gone against you."

"You wouldn't have killed me, but you can hold your own."

"No, Klaus, I didn't want to hurt you."

"Oh," he breathed out.

"I told you a while ago that I didn't forgive you for what happened, and I never could. But I lied. I do forgive you, Klaus. For everything that you've done and will ever do. I think I was just mad at myself because deep down I forgave you already, and just needed someone to blame. It was harder for me to blame Dahlia because she was dead and I needed someone who was alive to project all my grief onto. It was wrong of me to put all the blame on you when you just wanted to protect Hope. I was too emotional at the time to understand, but I do now. And I'm sorry for all the harsh things I said to you."

Klaus didn't respond, and when Veronica finally felt brave enough to look at him, she took in the way his eyes were faintly starting to water and the clenching of his jaw.