NINETEEN|reunions

The Originals

☄. *. ⋆

Veronica drove in front of the house she never thought she would step foot in again.

Stepping out of the car, her eyes roamed around the building. Somehow, it seemed even bigger than before.

Veronica flew into Mystic Falls the night prior, staying in a hotel outside of town. It was impulsive, and she only planned to stay for another day, but she needed to acknowledge her past before she could move on with her future.

Since learning of her brother's passing, she hadn't had any contact with her sister or friends for the last couple of months. At first, they tried to reach out, but after their messages going unanswered, they stopped.

Shoes patting against the gravel, Veronica walked up to the front door. With butterflies in her stomach, she brought her right hand up and knocked twice.

The seconds that went by were agonizing as she waited for the door to open. Just as she was about to turn and leave, the sound of a switch clicking kept her rooted in place.

"Who the hell–Veronica?"

A small smile curved her lips, "Hi, Damon."

Damon's eyebrows flew up, his eyes scanning her up and down. Out of all things, her appearance was something he least expected today.

When he didn't reply, Veronica's smile slowly started to fade. The feeling of being unwanted started to crawl up on her, but disappeared when he opened the door wider and stepped to the side.

Slowly walking in, she looked around. She had spent a lot of time in this house. Whether it was coming up with a plan or just hanging out, she knew she was always welcomed whenever.

Veronica followed Damon over into the living room, watching as he poured himself a drink then slumped down into the couch.

Not really sure what to do with herself, Veronica stood awkwardly in the doorway, fiddling with her rings. That was, until Damon tapped the cushion next to him and signaled her over.

Sitting on the spot next to him, the two made eye contact. He brought the bourbon to his lips, took a long sip, then placed it onto the table in front of him. Leaning back, he looked to Veronica and tilted his head.

"When did it happen?"

"Hm?"

A small smirk curved onto his lips, "When did you transition into a vampire?"

Veronica swallowed, looking down at her hands in her lap. Seeing her expression, the smirk dropped from his lips. Sitting up, he placed a hand onto her back.

"What happened?"

The events rushed through her head as if she were watching a movie. The birth, her death, rescuing Hope, having to give her away. She wished she could explain it all, but Veronica knew her daughter's status had to remain a secret.

"When I gave birth, it killed me."

"Yeah, I heard that's what happens to all women."

"No, Damon. It actually killed me. I died."

His eyebrows shot up, "For the second time?"

She shrugged, "Third."

"I'm sorry, third?"

Veronica ignored him and kept going, "When I woke up, I was told I had to drink Hope's blood in order to transition."

"Hope. Is that..."