fifty one|ice cream

"This is so stupid," Veronica grumbled, kicking at the rocks under her shoe.

Marcel snorted, his arms crossed as he leaned against a tree. "You've been at this for almost an hour, maybe try taking a break."

"No, I know I can do it. I just need to keep trying."

Earlier, Veronica dragged Marcel out to the bayou with her to practice exercises the elders gave her.

The first task was to recreate what she did one week ago. At the time, her strength came from the overwhelming emotions she was feeling. Now that she had calmed down, she wasn't able to knock down any trees or kill any plants.

"Are you sure you should even be doing this? I mean, how do you know you can trust them?"

"I don't know," Veronica leaned against the opposite tree, "I mean, I think I can trust them. They knew my biological dad and they want me to get better. More powerful."

"That's what I mean. What if they want you to become this machine that they can use whenever they wish? You're a hybrid, already making you ten times more powerful than everyone else."

"If it comes to that, which it won't, I'll make sure to end whatever connection I have to them and move on."

"Roni, it can't be that simple-"

"Trust me, Marcel, I got this. I won't fall for anyone's traps. Not again."

Marcel sighed, nodding his head as he pushed off of the tree. "I have to head out and take care of some things. Let me know if you get it."

With a quick hug, the vampire was gone, leaving Veronica to continue her practice by herself.

When two more hours passed and the most she got was a snapped branch and a sore throat, Veronica decided to call it quits for a while.

Speeding back home, the brunette was met with laughter and music as she unlocked her apartment door.

A grin overtook her lips as she saw Evelyn dancing around the living room with Hope, the two spinning and dancing to the radio.

Three days ago, Veronica's best friend since childhood, Evelyn, came into town. She was staying with them for a week, and Hope has been obsessed. The little girl won't stop calling her 'Auntie E'. Plus, it helped that Evie spoiled her rotten with gifts.

"Mommy's home!" Hope squealed, rushing as fast as she could towards the front door.

Kneeling down, Veronica pressed two kisses to her daughter's cheek, her arms tightening around Hope's small frame.

"How is my favorite girl doing?" The hybrid smiled, pulling away and fixing Hope's hair.

Hope took Veronica's hand, leading her back to the living room while rambling about how her day went so far.

Although she wasn't gone for too long, Hope has always been clingy to Veronica. She used to worry that although she wasn't there in her first few months that Hope wouldn't feel a connection to her, but the complete opposite happened.

"I was thinking we could walk around the French Quarter today. Maybe visit some of those witchy shops?" Evie wiggled her eyebrows.

On her first night in New Orleans, Veronica came clean to her friend about the supernatural. She didn't leave anything out and was more than relieved once Evelyn confessed she had a feeling. She said she thought all the 'animal attacks' were a cover and although it seemed absurd, she believed in the supernatural world anyways.

After agreeing to the plans, Veronica quickly changed while Evelyn got Hope's bag and stroller ready. As soon as she was finished, they were off to explore.